Mixing OEBT and CRS Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ianeberle

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently have a 17 gallon aquascape with about 8 Orange Eye Blue Tiger shrimp. The substrate is black and the shrimp blend in, so it doesn't make for a pretty tank.

I have been trying to breed the shrimp since October with no luck. Conditions are perfect for them and I've seen them berried a few times, but no babies. I've had success with breeding cherry shrimp in the past, so I do know what I'm doing. I started with 10 shrimp and now I'm down to 8.

All of the shrimp are adults, so I don't feel comfortable selling/shipping them, but I want some crystal red shrimp to make the tank more lively. They will be easier to see since they are brighter.

Should I see if my LFS wants to the OEBT shrimp or should I just get the CRS and mix them in? I know they could interbreed, but many people do it as the offspring are called "tibees".

when you say conditions are perfect for them, what are the conditionals? gh? kg? nitrate? tds? temperature? amount of light per day? How much plants do you have in there? any hiding places? Do you have a prefilter sponge, if you are not using a sponge filter. Do you have baby shrimp food? Are there any fish or other livestock in there besides the shrimps?

Cherries and oebt is very different in terms of breeding. You should attempt to figure out why they are dropping their eggs or why the shrimplets are dying.

Yes many people keep crs and oebt together, they will interbreed and create tibees, which will turn into a long breeding project. Because f1 tibees are not very good looking, you will have to keep crossing them together and then back to the parents, and back to the offspring, to create pretty patterns. Then eventually pick out the pretty patterns and get rid of the other tibees and seletively breed them to stay true.

Of course you can just let them breed together, but that will not guarantee you any nice looking shrimp.

when you say conditions are perfect for them, what are the conditionals? gh? kg? nitrate? tds? temperature? amount of light per day? How much plants do you have in there? any hiding places? Do you have a prefilter sponge, if you are not using a sponge filter. Do you have baby shrimp food? Are there any fish or other livestock in there besides the shrimps?

Cherries and oebt is very different in terms of breeding. You should attempt to figure out why they are dropping their eggs or why the shrimplets are dying.

Yes many people keep crs and oebt together, they will interbreed and create tibees, which will turn into a long breeding project. Because f1 tibees are not very good looking, you will have to keep crossing them together and then back to the parents, and back to the offspring, to create pretty patterns. Then eventually pick out the pretty patterns and get rid of the other tibees and seletively breed them to stay true.

Of course you can just let them breed together, but that will not guarantee you any nice looking shrimp.

I thought tibees just stood for Taiwan bees - I believe the name for F1 tibee hybrids is mischlings?

No, taiwan bees, are bee shrimps from taiwan, like red wind, king kong, blue bolt, panda, etc etc. Mischling shrimp have Black King Kongs and Red wines in their blood line, sometimes among other bee shrimps.

tibee (TIgerxBEE) is a cross between tiger and bee shrimps (which crs is part of)

No, taiwan bees, are bee shrimps from taiwan, like red wind, king kong, blue bolt, panda, etc etc. Mischling shrimp have Black King Kongs and Red wines in their blood line, sometimes among other bee shrimps.

tibee (TIgerxBEE) is a cross between tiger and bee shrimps (which crs is part of)

I see. I'm not that serious of a shrimper yet :oops:

Either way, there is a possiblity of getting neat shrimp out of the cross. It may take culling, but once you get a good color many people are pleased with their tibees.

Back
Top Bottom