Mixing salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhunter

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Currently we're using instant ocean salt to mix our saltwater. We can get the sg we're looking for, but we always have extra salt on the bottom of the tub. We've tried using hot water to begin, using cold, using less salt, all to no avail. Does anyone have any good advice on getting all the salt to disolve?

Yeah, IO has that problem for me too. 5-10 kinda large grains left over after 24 hours of mixing with 2 airstones.
Luckily I'm almost out of IO salt and will change to Oceanic for the better calcium levels and dissolve rate.

NEver use hot water from the tap. your pipes and water heater leach contaminants into hot water.

Do you put a heater and powerhead in the bucket? this seems to work fine. I don't use IO though.

We've let the water sit with airstones and power heads for days, still salt left. I'm going to try switching brands.

I use Oceanic salt and mix it in a rubbermaid brute container. I can dump the salt in and run a powerhead for 1 hour and it is all dissolved. In my 225 gallon tank it took only about an hour or two for all the salt to dissolve on the initial fill up.

I've used Reef Crystals and Kent and both dissolve completely with a powerhead and heater in the bucket.

When I was using IO I read a post about using an industrial food grade plastic stirrer that connects to a drill. I got one (around $15) and that mixed up a 20 gallon container in a couple of minutes. Since I switched to Oceanic I just run a ph and it's all dissolved within an hour.

Back
Top Bottom