Mixing tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swifty

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a small school of black skirt tetras in my 29g with a firemouth, and wanted to increase the size to a dozen or so.

My question is, can I add white skirts or black phantoms? Will adding either of them start a "war" between the tetras or would they tolerate each other? Also, any difference between the hi-fin/long-finned variety?

I also have a mix of black and white skirts all adopted I might add from different homes, and they get along great :)

I see, I was concerned the white were somehow less "hardy" from a few articles and that my current black skirts would nip at the long skirt variety. That's good to know, thanks.

There is always a possibility of nipping but a good sized school (8+) usually helps to curb this behavior. I have heard of the white skirts being more sensitive than the blacks but this was because they where dyed. Dying of fish causes them to become weaker.

Yeah that was something similar to what I read. The long-finned are natural right? They were bred that way? I think I'm leaning towards those so they're just as hardy as my black skirt short fins, and wont stick out from the school too much.

The longed finned where bred that way through selective breeding. As for hardiness I'd imagine they might be a bit more sensitive than the normal ones but I've never heard anything.

Ok, that makes sense. Looks like I'll try to finish the school off with those long-fins, not really into the white or colored ones if they're artificial.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom