Mollies eating Duckweed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildroseofky

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just put duckweed in my tank and the Mollies are eating it like crazy. I know they like veggies but I am wondering the duckweed is okay for them.

Yep, its a fish food. Goldfish also like this I hear. I had to get rid of my mollies ate 20 dollars in plants in 24 hours. not happy.

Hi there! Yeah my goldfish FEAST on this stuff. If the molly eats too much of it, you could put it in a tub or if you have another tank grow it out in there and then add however much you need to the tank and replace it when it eats too much if that made sense lol.

My Mollies don't bother the other plants I just planted. I was surprised they liked the duckweed so much. My plant light is super bright and they have been staying near the bottom of the tank. I only added a small handful of the duckweed to the tank and put the rest in another container in the window. I want some for my outside pond.

Since I added the duckweed they have been racing around grabbing bites of the duckweed and surfing through it. LOL They have been having a ball. I think I will rig something up to keep the duckweed to one side though so it doesn't block all the light from the other plants. Or maybe cutting a circle out a plastic lid and putting it in that.

I am thinking about putting the plant light on the back of the tank about half way down so the plants still get plenty of light. I don't have a back ground on my tank. I like being able to see through it. I did plant some stem plants around the back of it though. Once they grow in it should look pretty good. I got such a good deal on plants from aquabid that I have plenty to replace any that the fish eat. I plan on adding some hatchet fish once they go through QT. I am thinking of adding some glofish too. I know some on here don't like them but I think they would add some color to an an other wise natural tank. I was thinking of two of each of the four colors that I have seen. That would make a school of 8 glofish. I want some black khuli loaches that I saw at Walmart for the bottom of the tank. They are the reason I switch to sand in stead of gravel.

My Mollies have eaten most of the duckweed. I am afraid they are going to make them selves sick. Some of it made its way into the two filters and is floating on top so I just left it. I made corrals for the duckweed out of tubing. My plant light was so bright it was bothering the mollies. They don't have a lot of places to hide right now. Just a couple of rock formations. The top part of the tank is really bare. Is too much light bad for Mollies? They seem really freaked out by the brightness. I have only been leaving the light on for 8-10 hours.

Back
Top Bottom