Mollies not breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trainer_Ruby_

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've had mollies for about a year and normally they drop fry every month around the same time but lately they haven't had any. They seemed to stop once I put them in my 55g tank. I don't think they're having them and eating them as I haven't seen the male attempt to breed. There's 5 female and 1 male. Could it be there's too many female. Could it be that the male could be too old to breed? When I got him he was about full size so he's fairly old.

Keep calm and drum on

How long ago did you add them to the new tank? If it was recently they might just be stressed and to settle in first. Or maybe you could look at getting another male mollie.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oh. Then it must not be from the move. Maybe you were right about the age of the mollie. Maybe you could get a new male. Maybe that would urge the other male to breed again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

In the many Mollies I kept I had plenty of babies. If the tank is to small they may not. Yours is fine. The male may not actually have much to do with it by this time. Usually the Mollies are already pregnant by the time you get them. They stay Pregnant all there life and push out 100 babies a month. Make sure you water quality is good and lots of hiding places never hurts. If you want to be sure, buy the Mollies in the store that are already bulging from babies. Probably a silly thing but make sure you don't have all boys :)

I would get another male. My male is for sure older then my females and he dosent try to mate like other males I've had.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom