Mollies sorting out hierarchy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cormack12

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey after double checking my cycle after some advice, I got all the right results and went ahead and got some mollies for my tank. I got four males. They're all in good health, sprightly and active and feeding (and pooping) well. Seriously, with the pooping......

Anyway, as they've settled in and become less shy I've noticed a bit of the fish personality coming out. I'm not yet experienced enough to gauge what is playful or aggressive. Usually it will begin with fish (A) chasing round fish (b). It doesn't seem to be territorial as it swims side by side bumping into the other fish every now and again. Then it wil stop and pick up on another fish. It's never chasing at full pelt and none are gasping or go into hiding.

Are they just sorting out the hierarchy? I'm a bit nervous to add in some tetras next in case the mollies start a riot or something. Also, they have really grown in a short space of time, they seem quite large - like 4cm at least. Will they stop?

Personally I consider Mollies to be Semi Aggressive. They are food hogs. They constantly look for breeding opportunities. I usually suggest them for 30g or larger tanks as they can get quite large and as most are poop machines they are quite messy.

But they are easy fish. Lots of people like them. You may find 4 is too many.
Or not.

I prefer peaceful serene tanks. Mollies are kinda bulldozers. Cute, begging, bulldozers ;)

Ha bulldozers is a perfect description. They are proper food guzzlers as well. I picked males as I didn't want any breeding and so far I'm quite happy with them. Really like the way they look as well. Are they likely to cause a ruckus with fish that traditionally school? Say six tetras for example? or will numbers stop them attempting this?

Back
Top Bottom