Molly and fin rot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pooh0123

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a molly that appears to have fin rot. I isolated him and used the tablets to help cure the fin rot..and he got a little bit better. He was unhappy in his small tank, but perked right up when I put him back in the large tank.

So my questions are:
1) Is this fin rot?
2) Is there anyway to cure fin rot while the fish is in the community tank?
3.) Is using the natural "oil" way better at curing fin rot?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Attachments

• fin rot.jpg
    fin rot.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 100
Hi. It appears you have a platy. If you have access to a fish store, there is a product called methylene blue that would cure that.
I would not use the "oils" most say they dont work, some even say its hurts the fish.
Even a plastic tub with a heater would work.
Most stuff you put into a tank like that will hurt your BB, M. Blue would.
At walmart theres a prodcut called "fungus cure" that would clear that and is Benifical Bacteria (BB) safe (nitrofurazone)
Another product, parasite clear, contains acrflavine and would also take care of that, as it is a anteseptic and i believe its also BB safe.
Some may say it would go away on its own, and if you dont like to add meds to the community tank and you plan on getting more fish, you should get a hospital tank. You can also order antibiotic food online at angelsplus.com under flake foods.
Check craigslist for ten gallon tanks or even ten gallon setups, dont spend more than 20 on a setup tho, some ppl are ripoffs.

Back
Top Bottom