molly behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmalbin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys, firstly we are in the UK so unsure if I am meant to be on this site but everytime I google a question this site comes up so thought I'd see if anyone can help.

Basically we got our 60l tank about a month ago, we had it running with no fish for a week, got our water tested and got 6 platy, not realising they were mixed sex we ended up with 3 of each. After researching we found that the ratio is 1 male to 2 female so a week later after another water check we got 2 more female platy and a brittlenose plec. Again they have been fine. This week we went to get some guppies but the guy at the shop said they are hard work coz of so much inbreeding and steered us towards 2 molly instead.

We were very set on the guppies coz they are so pretty and we were told at first they go well with platies and were a bit disappointed but chose 1 male and 1 female molly that are pretty cool.

We've got them home and added them to the tank but they seem a bit strange, the female doesnt move much, she just kind of sits near the top hardly moving and her tail end is pointing down, is this normal? The male is a lot more active and not droopy.

Please help

Hi firstly welcome to the forum:) I am in the U/K to(y)
Now to your question or rather to ask a question or two first.
Did you cycle the tank? This is a process of 'maturing' a tank before putting fish in ideally.
Water parameters - This is always handy to know - especially Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and P/H also temperature is handy to know.
Mollies prefer hard water {that's water with a high P/H} They also like the water reasonable warm - warmer than most tropicals,they also like plenty of greens in there diet. So to your question it could be the water isn't quite right or it could be still settling in? Good luck.

Hiya, thanks for the quick reply.

Cycling the tank is one thing we aren't sure about, weve googled it many times and keep getting different answers.

Basically, when we bought the tank the guy said to get it set up, filter on etc and water temp between 25 C and 28 C and leave it for a week - is this cycling?

When we got our first 6 platy, we went to a different shop. We initially went in for guppies but he said platy would be better in a new tank as they were more hardy? he checked the water and said it was perfect.

again, the additional 2 platy and plec - we had the water checked and it was perfect.

we've just checked the water ourselves after adding the 2 molly and it is

temp 26 C
Cl2 - 0
pH - 8.0
KH - hard to read on our strips but we think between 7.6 and 8.0
GH - 8 cant do the little od thing lol
NO2 - 1
N03 - this one is hard to read but between 50 and 100

We've done a 20% water change but this hasn't changed the NO3 reading.

Are we doing something wrong? please help

Ok, first you have 8 platy, a BN pleco and two mollys? If so you're overstocked and in an uncycled tank the fish are likely suffering from ammonia and/or nitrite poisoning.

Letting a tank run doesn't cycle it. Here's a guide that'll explain cycling: Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice You'll want to pay special attention to this link as well: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

So what's your Ammonia level? Nitrite is already pretty high at 1. Nitrates are very high for fish; have you tested your tap water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? If not, do so as it'll let you know what you're starting with.

--First, do a 50% water change with dechlorinated water (try to match the temp of the new water as closely as you can to the tank water; feeling both with your hand is usually sufficient). With numbers like that, a 20% change won't drop the levels much. Larger water changes are needed.
--Next, get your own liquid test kit. The API Master kit is best. Test daily for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Do water changes if ammonia and/or nitrite are over .25 (that fish in guide I linked will explain more). What kit do you have now, if any? Strips aren't very accurate.
--Test your tap water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate to see what you're starting with. I suspect some of the nitrates are from your tap water but testing will let us know for sure.
--I'd highly suggest returning some of the fish at least until the tank is cycled. All of the fish you have are fairly large messy fish which is going to increase the toxin levels very quickly and it's going to be difficult to stay on top of water changes. When doing a fish-in cycle you ideally want to start with as few fish as possible.

Also in the long-term, it's likely the mollys and/or platy are going to breed which will increase your tank's stocking capacity and you're already overstocked as it is. Either that, or think about upgrading to a larger tank, at least 30 gals if you don't want any other fish.

What filter is on the tank now, do you know? I'm suspecting it might not be sufficient for the amount of fish in the tank but if you can let us know the brand and how many gallons it's rated for that'll help.

Last edited:
Ok, first you have 8 platy, a BN pleco and two mollys? If so you're overstocked and in an uncycled tank the fish are likely suffering from ammonia and/or nitrite poisoning.

Letting a tank run doesn't cycle it. Here's a guide that'll explain cycling: Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice You'll want to pay special attention to this link as well: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

So what's your Ammonia level? Nitrite is already pretty high at 1. Nitrates are very high for fish; have you tested your tap water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? If not, do so as it'll let you know what you're starting with.

--First, do a 50% water change with dechlorinated water (try to match the temp of the new water as closely as you can to the tank water; feeling both with your hand is usually sufficient). With numbers like that, a 20% change won't drop the levels much. Larger water changes are needed.
--Next, get your own liquid test kit. The API Master kit is best. Test daily for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Do water changes if ammonia and/or nitrite are over .25 (that fish in guide I linked will explain more). What kit do you have now, if any? Strips aren't very accurate.
--Test your tap water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate to see what you're starting with. I suspect some of the nitrates are from your tap water but testing will let us know for sure.
--I'd highly suggest returning some of the fish at least until the tank is cycled. All of the fish you have are fairly large messy fish which is going to increase the toxin levels very quickly and it's going to be difficult to stay on top of water changes. When doing a fish-in cycle you ideally want to start with as few fish as possible.

Also in the long-term, it's likely the mollys and/or platy are going to breed which will increase your tank's stocking capacity and you're already overstocked as it is. Either that, or think about upgrading to a larger tank, at least 30 gals if you don't want any other fish.

What filter is on the tank now, do you know? I'm suspecting it might not be sufficient for the amount of fish in the tank but if you can let us know the brand and how many gallons it's rated for that'll help.

Hiya,

I did a 50% water change yesterday, fish all seem fine apart from the female molly. I want to take them back but will they take them if our water is bad?

Ive checked the levels today and they are now (on a strip test)

Cl2 - 0
pH - 7.2
KH - 7.6
GH - 16 od
NO2 - Not 0 but not 1 either
NO3 - 50

I didnt get to the shop today as my daughter was up all night ill but going tomorrow, will they sell those kits?

We are going to upgrade in the future, prob after xmas weve starting looking at tanks now. The one we have is juwel korall 60 and the filter is bioflow mini 280.

Back
Top Bottom