Molly/ betta aggression

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pckerfreak44

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I yesterday I added two black Mollies to my community and they are extremely aggressive towards my betta. Would anyone have an explanation why? I'm going to move him to a 10 gal that I just setup up and is cycling. I put some gravel from my cycled tank in there. How soon can I put him in it? In my community most my other fish are small tetras. The mollies won't pick on them when I remove the betta will they?

Molly isnt an aggressive fish, but i would expect something different when you put them with betta.

Black Mollies can sometimes be semi-aggressive in some tanks. Try feeding twice a day and see if they calm down. They are very active with big appetites.

My Cherry Barbs never nip unless I feed less. As long as they are well fed they are peaceful :)

How big is you Community tank ???

Mollies are large fish ( compared to most community fish ) and I usually like to see them in 30g +. I know everyone says they can be in small tanks, but I don't think you see their full potential unless they have room.

Yeah I have a 29 long tank, and I do feed them twice and I noticed they go crazy for food, I have to put so much more in there so my other fish get some. Maybe feed them three times a day?

Pckerfreak44 said:
Yeah I have a 29 long tank, and I do feed them twice and I noticed they go crazy for food, I have to put so much more in there so my other fish get some. Maybe feed them three times a day?

So your tank is a good size, your Mollies are bullies ! Not abnormal though http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/livebearer/molly.php
Mollies like greens as well, you can offer shelled blanched peas, romaine lettuce, Spirulina flakes, etc...

Keep an eye on your other fish, the Mollies may just not be a good fit for your tank. You may want to return them for calmer fish.

I yesterday I added two black Mollies to my community and they are extremely aggressive towards my betta.

My mollies were only ever aggressive to fish they didn't feel belonged in the tank, usually due to that fish having some disease.

What if I put the mollies in the ten gal instead? Or would it be better for my betta to go in there? That's what I'm thinking

Put the betta in the 10 gallon, he would feel away more comfortable there than the mollies

Alright thanks. Only problem is I need a heater for that tank. My cuzin is going to give me one but idk when. Will he e ok without a heater?

Alright thanks. Only problem is I need a heater for that tank. My cuzin is going to give me one but idk when. Will he e ok without a heater?
Man, when i was living in Brazil, my betta lived without heat and filter, but your problem now is only the heat. I think almost everyone will say they need a heater, but as i had bettas before, they lived without heat fine.

I would try if i was in your place, and its going to be only for few days or less as you said you will get a heat soon.

Okay one last question. I put gravel from my tank into the new tank I'm cycleing yesterday. When will I be able to add my betta?

Back
Top Bottom