Molly holding on to fry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MullyJully

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I'm a little new to this so bear with me please!
So I have a pregnant Molly, she's given birth to 2 fry (possibly more) 5 days ago, but her belly is still huge.
I'm wondering if she's going to give birth to more and was thinking that maybe she's held on to them as she may not feel comfortable giving birth in a community tank.
I put her in a breeder box but she became stressed so I let her back out. Also one male Molly that likes to follow her around became stressed too and starting banging into the plastic.
I'm considering buying a seperate tank for her if it will help with the situation.
Also, if I do buy a seperate tank for her, should I put her in with her male companion?

What size is your main tank? If you get her a separate tank don't put the male in with her. Is it just the 2 mollies in the tank? If so you need to get another female molly for him to chase.
What are your water parameters?

I bought this for my dad as a birthday gift, I hadn't been interested in the fish until a few weeks ago when I noticed the pregnant molly. Been doing some research since, and learned that the gender balance is way off(3female/5male). I was thinking this might have something to do with it.
The tank is 110 litre it contains the 2 molly fry, 8 molly, a small red tail shark, a yoyo loach and these these 2 little fish I cant find the name of.
Im using a test strip for this - PH 7.2, KH 10, GH 14, 79f

I think one of the other mollies is pregnant too, looking a little chubby, not as big as the other one though.

Yes your gender balance is way off and probably causing the issue. I would sell 4 of your males. Your tank is a bit too small for the red tail shark long term as well. Do you have a picture of the other 2 fish you can't name? Or a description of them? Someone here might be able to tell you.
When I asked for parameters I was looking more for ammonia, nitrates and nitrites. Your temp is fine.

Here's the fish I can't identify.
IMO8ZkG

Nitrate between 100-250
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0

The picture isn't showing.
Th fish has a silver body, a black diamond between the body and red tail fins.
I'll work on trying to get the picture up.

Nitrate between 100-250
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0

I dont know about your molly, but your nitrates are way too high. Ideally they should be 5 to 10ppm. 20ppm max. What is your water change schedule?

Ive been changing 10% once per week.
It's due a change today.

I would do a big water change today. Like 50%. Then the same tomorrow. Test the water. If you are below 20ppm nitrate, then you can leave it for a week. If you are above 20ppm then do a 30% water change after a couple of days.

When you have your nitrates down to a good level, the procedure should be.

30% water change weekly. If after the water change your nitrate is 10ppm or below, thats great. Stick to 30% weekly.

If your nitrate is above 10ppm after changing the water, you need to either increase to 30% twice weekly or increase to 50% weekly.

If you still arent getting 10ppm or below then you are overstocked. Take some fish out or get a bigger tank.

Back
Top Bottom