Molly & swordtail crossbreed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dudeofrude

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought a female swordtail a month or two ago and it was pregnant. Well it had the fry and everything went fine. Strange thing is it now appears to be pregnant again?? It's only in a tank with mollies and guppies and I wouldn't imagine the guppies could have done it so I was wondering if its possible for the Molly to have?

Mollies and swordtails can interbreed but it is not recommended. If I remember correctly a female molly that has been impregnated by a swordtail will more than likely die. It is possible that your pregnant swordtail may still be using the sperm from the original "papa" that fertilized your swordtail before. They can store the male sperm for some time.

From what I have heard they cannot. Guppies and Mollies are in the Poecilia family where as Swordtails and Platies are in the Xiphophorus so they can not cross breed. She is probably using her old mates sperm, they can use there sperm packets for 3-6 drops.

From what I have heard they cannot. Guppies and Mollies are in the Poecilia family where as Swordtails and Platies are in the Xiphophorus so they can not cross breed. She is probably using her old mates sperm, they can use there sperm packets for 3-6 drops.

The info out there is "iffy." I've found sites and posts that claim that there have been crossbreeds between mollies and swords. Of course you can't believe everything you read on the net. However, even aqadvisor acknowledges the possibility of crossbreeding them.

+1 on the sperm packets.

Ok so its most likely the sperm thing, cheers. Have enough with the mollies breeding, don't need swordtail at it too lol

My neon swordfish mated with my Dalmatian molly. Unfortunately it happened in my community tank and the fry got eaten before I could transfer them into a separate tank. I was kinda sad

Back
Top Bottom