Monte Carlo help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RexDarr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone!
Last week I purchased some Monte Carlo in hopes it will eventually carpet my 10 gallon tank.
I followed the directions on the package cutting it in to 6 pieces and planting it in my desired location.
Aside from my apple snail knocking the odd one out of the substrate and seeing the little runners and roots forming I really haven't seen much growth. About 40% of the leaves are turning brown and melting. Is that normal?
I have gravel substrate and every other plant I have in the tank is growing well. I even have some liquid grow from Nutri-Fin that I've been adding.

Hey there!

Monte carlo is a plant that requires certain nutrients to grow and survive, and from the information you've given us it doesn't sound like you have these. Most plants like this need injected Co2, a strong light, a substrate full of fertilizers and nutrients and added nutrients to the water column. Also, plants like these that shoot out runners need a fine substrate, or else they can't move their roots and runners. A gravel substrate prevents this, and that's why we like to use sand for it.

Co2 can be gotten from a DIY Co2 system, super easy, cheap and effective. If you want to go the extra mile though, you can use a pressurized system that puts out a much more precise amount of Co2 into your tank. These also tend to be a lot more expensive.

The nutrients in the substrate can be gotten from root tabs, which can be bought at a LFS or DIY. Many plants, including swords and crypts, love these and need them to grow.

Finally, in the water column, there are liquid ferts people add. It sounds like you have this, but there are much better ones out there. I myself just use API Co2 Booster every now and then (when I remember!) but my plants get along just fine without it because of my high light and Co2.

I'll let the plant gurus take it from here ;)

Monte carlo does need more care than most plants. I'm not sure if it NEEDS co2 injected but I certainly think it would help.

The die off is normal: for almost all plants, when replanted, some of the old leaves may die off eventually. It is possible it was grown emersed (not underwater), and in such a case all of the old leaves will die eventually I believe. But by the time that happens, if you provide the right environment, enough new leaves, adapted for submersed life, will have grown that the plant will be well established.

This is what my tank looked like about two weeks ago before I added fish. So far every other plant has grown really really well aside from the MC.
I've never used CO2 before. How do I do it?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1446655162910.jpg
    1446655162910.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 323
Back
Top Bottom