Moonlight questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
keep an open mind and look at it this way. you can go spend 20 bucks or so to run 10 led's, or you can find a junk computer that everyone has now-a-days, pull the power supply, and you can run 40 led's if you want for free and you can hook up a lot more if you want. you can run neon too, or cathode tubes.

The plus side to using a computer power supply is that it doesn't get hot, also it outputs a constant 12v rather then 13.8 of a typical 12v adapter 9which you have to take into account with resistor values)

The minus side to using a computer power supply is the much higher current draw even when idling, and wasted power.

in the case of running moon lights(like i do anyways), i run them off a timer and not all night long. so the power supply never really 'idles' at all, it powers my neon lights till around when i go to bed. then the lights are not needed and the supply is shut off, so there is no wasted power.

Back
Top Bottom