Moorish idol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ivan_dalmatia

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My wife or no bought me a Moorish idol for Father's Day!!! She didn't know that the fish is not reef safe!!! Also he's been with me for three days eating good, What do I do before introducing them into my reef???

My wife or no bought me a Moorish idol for Father's Day!!! She didn't know that the fish is not reef safe!!! Also he's been with me for three days eating good, What do I do before introducing them into my reef???

As a former Pet store employee, I suggest you thank your wife for her gift, ask her in the future to get you a gift certificate from your favorite LFS instead of actual fish and return this fish to the store. Corals, anemones, shrimps, live rocks etc are all in jeopardy if you introduce the Idol to your reef cause that's what they eat in the wild.
That's what I would do unless you have a large tank with lots of open area for him to swim. They don't usually do well in confined spaces.

Hope this helps (y)

They need a large tank, they are considered an "expert only" fish due to being extremely difficult to get to eat. You need an established tank with lots of algae and they need sponges to eat. If you are not an expert, I would take it back. The tank size requirement, plus not being reef safe, plus being difficult to keep alive gives you all the reason to take it back without offending the wife. I bet she'd rather see you have a fish that lives and thrives.

If its going in your 150, then you are pushing the limits. 41 fish, some that will get huge, and adding another fairly large fish sure seems like a bad idea. I'm amazed that you have all those in a 150. I would think it was overstocked if it were a 300g.

Back
Top Bottom