More casualties....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, I have 2 new casualties, and possibly a 3rd. For the GBR's, I'm wondering if it's age related, as the male that died today was one of my oldest ones that I've had for just over a year. Also, the female what was with him isn't looking good anymore. They are the pair in the planted 10G tank that has spawned 8 times, basically every 7-10 days, lol. And the tank parameters are perfect, with a ton of Wisteria.

Now for the other casualty. Well, you all know I have 2 large fire eels. Well, 1 decided to try to go outside while I was at work. I didn't think anything of it til feeding time, when I noticed only 1 was out begging for food. So I thought the other was still in the filter, so I checked all 4 bays, lol. No eel. I then checked behind the stand, no eel. Under the stand, no eel. Then I looked at my drapes at the sliding glass door, and lifted up the drapes from touching the floor, and the eel was dried up near the glass door. This was about 10 feet away from the tank. I guess he was looking for a creek or river to escape in, lol. It really hurts though, I've had him since March 2005 I believe. And I had the tops off the tank all summer due to the heat. Well, I put them back on due to it being cooler now, so I shouldn't have any more escapes. Now my question is, since I have the glass tops, is there such a thing as a screen top to replace the glass tops to use during the summer when it's warmer?

That sucks man. They were so cool. Egg crate will work and if you can find it from a good reatiler it comes in many sizes and thickness. You could also use a terrarium screen which is basically fiberglass or SS mesh on a frame. With your lights that are above the tank either will work where if you have the light right on the tank, the egg crate should work better.

That is a terrible loss LWB, your eels are like family here. I agree with the egg crate and/or screen solution going forward.

In regards to the GBR, with what we already know about them, I would consider it fortuitous that you got several successful spawns over the past few months. Not many can lay such claim. He has left you to care for his legacy.

I am sorry for you loss Wolf. That just plain stinks. All Glass does make metal screen tops I have one on my turtle tank.

Here are some pictures of it in use if you haven't seen them. Actually looks like it doesn't block much light at all.

How many eggs do you have still from those two? Will be nice to hear how well they survive and see how much they look like their parents if you can actually tell them apart.

Back
Top Bottom