More time or euthanize?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArtistGardener

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a large female glowlight tetra that suddenly started swimming oddly--sideways. She couldn't seem to keep herself upright. I found her later wedged in some java moss. I separated her and put her in a breeder net in the same tank. Upon close examination, I could see that both of her pectoral fins were gone, one down to the nub! I don't know if this happened while stuck in the moss (seems more plausible that she became fodder for tankmates) or if it was the original problem. I have been taking her out of the tank twice daily for a mild salt bath of ten minutes each time. No sign of fungus on the fins, but she definitely can't stay upright and spends her time swimming sideways like a flounder. Any suggestions? Her color is still good and she has fight in her, but can't function like this. She's been in the net for about a week now. Hubby says I should put her out of her misery, but she seems so spunky. Will those fins regrow if down to the nub?

Sorry to hear about your tetra :(, definitely sounds like she isn't ready to leave just yet. I cannot say one way or the other because I have no experience with Tetras but I can say that I had a green tiger barb who somehow lost his dorsal fin and it never grew back, he was not incapacitated though as your tetra so continued to a ripe age.

I'd give her her own tank and TLC and whatever meds you think best. Or if none then Stress Coat or Dr. Tim's First Defense. And lots of water changes.

I'd feed her Rapashy gel fish food that stays full value good for 24 hrs. So that she could gain her strength back. ( extra food can be removed with turkey baster )

Repashy video:
http://youtu.be/IXmZ4kWb3X4

Hello Artist...

You apparently have an aggressive fish that's responsible for the injury to your Tetra. I never remove dying or dead fish from my tanks, but I have large planted tanks and a small army of Ramshorn snails that clean up any dead fish or plants. I leave everything to nature other than removing and replacing half the tank water every 2 weeks and minding the filtration.

You could provide more hiding places for the more timid fish. Drop in some stems of Hornwort. It's a fast grower and will cover a corner of your tank in a matter of weeks.

B

I will have to disagree that that is what happened. This is a heavily planted tank with lots of rocks and driftwood, containing glowlight tetras, neon tetras, otos, shrimp and a two female gouramis. They have all been together for over a year now. I think something else started it with her balance; it wasn't typical swim bladder problem movement. I also think once she was wedged in the driftwood/java moss, someone then did pick on her. Unless you think one of those fish suddenly became aggressive….

I did move her to a one gallon bucket with a mini heater and a chunk of media with bb. I will change most of the water every day and see if she can grow back the fins--not hopeful on one of them.

I'd make the decision based on whether she can eat. If she can do that and her color is good, I'd give her a chance.

And on a side note, I've fed an ailing betta with food bits on the end of a tooth pick. So if she's having trouble getting to the food, you might try that to buy some extra recovery time.

Thanks for your input everyone. I do appreciate it and can try these suggestions. I'll let you know how she does.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom