Moss ball advice please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sholi

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am thinking of buying a moss ball. but i have some questions:

-I know it doesnt need many requirements to grow, like as much as a java fern needs right?

-Will i need to bleach wash it? I have a java fern in my tank but i got it in this container sayin it is snail free. SO idk how to bleach wash.
~So do they mean i have to wash it in water with bleach AS IN tide, clorox and all those stuff?
~How long do i rinse/wash the ball?

Thank you!!! :D

I wouldn't bleach it, or treat it with anything, since it's a form of algae it probably won't react well.

You could squeeze it out in old tank water a bit to knock loose any snails or whatever but that's probably all I would do.

Can i leave it in un-dechlorined tap water for a day?

Do you experience a lot of snails, tiny worms, or any of the like? Because i don't have anything in my tank that will eat snails or pests. ANd at the same time i want to be careful.

Not really, but it just depends on where I get the plants from. I don't really care about snails, and nematode type worms are in pretty much every system to some extent so avoiding them is impossible.

i have 5 in my tank and all i did was put some tank water in a small container and rinse off and inspect for anything that looked suspicious. mine are in a low light tank(48 watts of light) with other low light plants and they are all doing great. i roll mine over every week(when i clean my tank) just so the bottom gets equal light. also i was warned at the shop where i bought mine that if it starts to turn brown and looks unhealthy get it out of the tank because it will break apart and get all over your tank and filter etc. and cause a real mess. i've had mine for over 9 months now and they are fine. i really think they look great in a tank. oh and NEVER use anything like tide, colorox, or soap of ANY kind in your tank or on things you put in your tank.

Thanks for the warning jpchin, then what did they mean to clean the plants with bleach (of what i read in other forums)?

Because a moss ball is a form of algae ( favorable algae ) its the exception to the rules. Most people talk about bleaching plants to get critters and algae off of the plants.

Thank you jpchin for the website. But at the same time, what kind of "bleach" should i use? The blleach i only know is those clothes detergent.

that's the right bleach. it's not clothes detergent. it's clorox bleach. don't get any with a perfume or any added ingredients. just plain clorox bleach. they have some now that says fresh meadow. you don't want that. just PLAIN clorox. but note that after you put the plants in the bleach mixture (you make a mix with water) you need to soak them in plain water that has the declorinator in it. that would be the same thing you use to make your tap water safe. i use seachem prime. it tells you how to do it in the link i sent. you want to remove the chlorine residue from the plants before you put them in your tank. good luck! don't use this mix on the moss balls. just inspect them and rinse in tank water that you've removed from the tank. tha's all there is to it.

I bought a medium one, just to try. Added it to my tank after I had done a pcw and gently squeezed it out in the used water. So glad I got one, two of my Orandas push it round the tank, really amusing to watch...and no problems (y)

Back
Top Bottom