Moss + Goldfish = terror

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RobbyDoom

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I took it upon myself to try java moss, for the second time. It turned out to be a huge mess the first time. It broke off into a million piece after a day and I ended up screening out of my aquarium.
This time I decided I'd do it right. I bought more than I should have. Anyways, I have it all tied to a couple pieces of rough slate and driftwood. Guess what, my tank is still filled with a million pieces of moss. Why? Because my goldfish are a-holes!!! They have torn apart everything I spent an hour doing. Awesome!!! I am not at all impressed. I now

I'm apparently the new iPhone 6.0 and thus app don't get along. I love how have of what I wrote is gone!!!

Cont.

They also love to uproot any plant it my aquarium.
I used stiff netting where I cut holes in it, to anchor the plants under the substrate. That didn't work!!! I can now see why most people don't have goldfish in their plated aquariums. Aside from the fact that goldfish are kept at 15•C and aquarium plants much higher. I think it's time they go to a good home. That is a feat within itself. They are too big for just anyone to take them. They need someone with a large aquarium. Ugh, not impressed this week!!

Well, looks like I'm deleting the Aquarium Advice iphone app. Half of what I wrote is different from what I actually wrote. I proof read everything.

I have kept two Fancy Goldfish in a planted tank for a long time with no problems. Once they did terrorize my plants but that was during a week that I was major busy and neglected feeding them their daily fresh veggies. They do currently peck at a Marimo ball that is in their tank but they don't do too much damage to it. They also uproot a few Dwarf Sag every week but not from trying to eat it, it happens as they browse for bits of food through the day.

Be sure to feed them fresh blanched veggies daily and they will stay away from your plants. They may still uproot a small plant every so often but there is not much you can do unless you can get them to leave it alone long enough for the plant to get sufficiently rooted.

If you want to continue with Java Moss try Superglue GEL instead of string.

No problems with iOS6 and the AA app here.

blert said:
I have kept two Fancy Goldfish in a planted tank for a long time with no problems. Once they did terrorize my plants but that was during a week that I was major busy and neglected feeding them their daily fresh veggies. They do currently peck at a Marimo ball that is in their tank but they don't do too much damage to it. They also uproot a few Dwarf Sag every week but not from trying to eat it, it happens as they browse for bits of food through the day.

Be sure to feed them fresh blanched veggies daily and they will stay away from your plants. They may still uproot a small plant every so often but there is not much you can do unless you can get them to leave it alone long enough for the plant to get sufficiently rooted.

If you want to continue with Java Moss try Superglue GEL instead of string.

No problems with iOS6 and the AA app here.

The problem is, my biggest, the fantail is a gluttonous bastard. It's relentless. It's also always beating on the black moor when it find some food on the floor of the aquarium. Very aggressive...lol.

I have 8 6+ inch fancy goldfish in a planted tank. If you want moss you have to get it established on DW in another tank, but they will still pull it and eat it. Mine stays low but is there. As for anchors I will post a link to the only anchors I ever found that work for big goldies. With them I have Ambulia, swords, crypts, dwarf sag, narrowleaf temple, and a few others. It won't stop them from munching but they will hold the plants down. One thing, my big guys never mess with the swords or crypts, other than to lay on them sometimes. Here is the anchor link....

Professional Plant Anchors (on sale)(reg. $2.29)

They are a rubbery anchor and work great. I don't know if you can get them in Canada tho.

Rivercats said:
I have 8 6+ inch fancy goldfish in a planted tank. If you want moss you have to get it established on DW in another tank, but they will still pull it and eat it. Mine stays low but is there. As for anchors I will post a link to the only anchors I ever found that work for big goldies. With them I have Ambulia, swords, crypts, dwarf sag, narrowleaf temple, and a few others. It won't stop them from munching but they will hold the plants down. One thing, my big guys never mess with the swords or crypts, other than to lay on them sometimes. Here is the anchor link....

Professional Plant Anchors (on sale)(reg. $2.29)

They are a rubbery anchor and work great. I don't know if you can get them in Canada tho.

Thanks for the info.
I have Aponogeton Natans and Vallisneria.
I'm sure that I can order those online, but I think I'm still going to find a new home for my goldfish.
I'm really digging plants now and I'd rather keep the water temp higher for the plants to flourish and I can't do that with the goldfish in the aquarium. Plus the fantail is 5.5" with tail and I have a 29g. With its amount of growth thus far, its partner and it are going to need a bigger aquarium.

Yep they will way outgrow that tank and actually two is considered overstocked in a tank that size. I don't use the anchors in any other tanks other than the goldies except on plants like swords or cryts that come in with big plants and little nubby roots that won't hold them down. They are nifty little anchors to keep on hand.

Rivercats said:
Yep they will way outgrow that tank and actually two is considered overstocked in a tank that size. I don't use the anchors in any other tanks other than the goldies except on plants like swords or cryts that come in with big plants and little nubby roots that won't hold them down. They are nifty little anchors to keep on hand.

Yeah, the other one is about half the size, but you're right. Not enough room. I might see if BIg Al's(the better LPS) will take them off my hands. I'm not sure if they do that or not.

Back
Top Bottom