Moss wall suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MonkeyMonk86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm going to make a moss wall using different types of moss. I'd like an oriental looking landscape when the mosses fill in. I will have: subwassertrang, Java, fissidins, Christmas, star, flaming, and weeping mosses to work with.

I was thinking the leafy part of the trees would be the star moss. What should I use for grasses in foreground, hills in background, tree trunks, and sky? ( I think sky should be the most compact but I don't know which moss that is.)

Can anyone help me with choosing the correct mosses for my landscape moss wall?

Thanks in advance!!!

Can't help you but I'm really looking forward to your progress in this build it sounds beautiful!

Sent from my SCH-R760X using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Of the ones you listed, I think flame moss is the only one that grows upward. If you are looking to keep the wall "flat" then that my be suitable. Conversely, you could use one of the "weeping" type of mosses (don't know the names) for the wall for a cascading effect.
You could use flame moss as a background plant. Definitely not in the foreground; you would want any of the horizontally spreading mosses for that.
Good luck with this project!

Thank you for all the input. I'm still waiting for my moss. It's coming from Mylasia. Hope it arrives alive. I think it's been a week in transit.

I'm grateful for any insight into how the mosses grow and spread.

theonly thing i can hep you with is that the star moss is not actually fully aquatic it may survive a month or so but it will eventually die off.

Despite not being a true aquatic moss, Tortula ruralis (Star moss) has found its way in the repertoire of moss keepers and planted aquarium hobbyists. Tortula ruralis (Star moss) was first introduced in the 2007 and is actually a terrestrial plant found in North America.

Tortula ruralis (Star moss) will survive for months without water. It thrives in dry habitats between rocks, as pathway vegetation, and in deserts. After long periods of dry gestation, when rainfall finally comes, Tortula ruralis can recuperate its cells within a matter of hours. This consumption of water will allow it to survive for months at a time without receiving water again.

Although hobbyists have taken up the common name of Star moss for Tortula ruralis, its actual common name is "cement moss".

this information came off of Aquascapingworld.com

Tortula ruralis (Star moss) is not suited for aquarium growth. However, for a short term layout it may be used as a foreground carpet.
A long term alternative to Tortula ruralis (Star moss) would be Fissidens fontanus, which you have.

Thank you so much! I'm glad I didn't get the moss yet ( coming from mylasia ) and start the wall yet. I think, I'll either plant it outside or give it to my plant loving, non-aquatic, daughter with the info you posted.

You really saved my project, big time! Thank you!!!

Willow moss doesn't last either. Old dies and new shoots separated and relocated.

Ok. So, moss wall picture bites the dust for now.

Willow moss doesn't last either. Old dies and new shoots separated and relocated.

Ok. So, moss wall picture bites the dust for now.

I believe willow moss is picky about temperature (prefers cooler water).
Have you considered other moss types such as flame, java, Christmas, anchor, and from local (domestic) sources?

What I'm thinking is, for now, just to observe them until I understand them. Then, when I see how they are long term, I'll pick the appropriate ones and maybe try. Right now my plants have been in transit from Mylasia for at least 2 weeks. So, they might all arrive dead anyway. In which case, I'll request a refund.

Back
Top Bottom