moss wall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmdavies

Aquarium Advice FINatic
what would be the best moss for a wall? i was thinking either flame or spikey any thoughts

I tried the moss wall with a friends tank. What a fun project!

We actually made three small pieces with different mosses. I am pretty sure we used chirstmas moss, java moss, and flame moss. It her tank with about 2.5wps 10k lights and no CO2 the christmas moss worked best. The flame moss never really grew in 3 months and the java moss grew too much and need to be lawn mowed to make it look NOT like a hot mess. The christmas moss grew really nicely and looked alot like a hedge.

If you do the wall, I highly recommend trying out as many mosses as you can to see what will grow best in your tank. Also, more important is that you need some shrimp to maintain it, otherwise it can start looking rather unsightly. Everything gets stuck in that moss. You will need to groom it weekly to keep it looking its best. I think it is worth the trouble :D for sure.

Oh ...we wanted to try weeping moss and star moss but couldn't find any when we were starting the project. I am sure you could find some online somewhere.

Oh ...we wanted to try weeping moss and star moss but couldn't find any when we were starting the project. I am sure you could find some online somewhere.

Star moss is not aquatic, don't waste the money, it is a native moss that grows in semi dry areas.

As for the moss wall any of the aquatic mosses would work, Fissidens, although a very slow grower would be nice, but if I had to chose one myself I would probably pick the Flame moss that stuff is awesome.

great then you have some to see how it will grow through the mesh :)! Depending on your setup the moss will grow different through the mesh. You kind of have to give it a month before it starts to look like a green wall, and each moss looked different.

Star moss is not aquatic, don't waste the money, it is a native moss that grows in semi dry areas.

As for the moss wall any of the aquatic mosses would work, Fissidens, although a very slow grower would be nice, but if I had to chose one myself I would probably pick the Flame moss that stuff is awesome.

You are right star moss isnt a true aquatic. It can only supposedly grow for about 3 months submersed. But for the moss wall, you need to maintain it on a regular basis and the original moss you put between the mesh gets gross anyways. For this reason only is why I suggested it.
About every three months you need to take it apart and can pull the moss strands back through to "refresh" the look. Otherwise you can get holes where the moss in the mesh dies away or turns yellowish.

Just trim back the dead moss and pull through the strands and viola close the mesh again and put it back in the tank. We do this every couple of months and it looks beautiful.

Gillie said:

Flame moss grows straight up though and looks better if attached to a DW or rocks and doesn't really work well as a wall. You can not appreciate the flame look that way.

Pictures anyone?

Not too familiar with live aquarium plants, but have been considering mosses. They are likely to be growing on concrete covered styrofoam "rocks" or driftwood.

you can see the willow on the back glass and the christmass on the dw
37953-albums1631-picture12739.jpg

Hi. I thought I might refresh the thread a bit, as after my DIY Moonlight project I'm ready for another challenge :whistle:

I think I'll go for a Christmas Moss as it's reasonably easy to keep.
My only concern is that I only have one 25W fluorescent bulb (sunlight, 16000K) - is that enough? What else do I need to keep it look nice?

I already have 4 Amano Shrimps, so I hope they will keep it clean!

senemedar said:
Hi. I thought I might refresh the thread a bit, as after my DIY Moonlight project I'm ready for another challenge :whistle:

I think I'll go for a Christmas Moss as it's reasonably easy to keep.
My only concern is that I only have one 25W fluorescent bulb (sunlight, 16000K) - is that enough? What else do I need to keep it look nice?

I already have 4 Amano Shrimps, so I hope they will keep it clean!

Well depending on the size of your tank, Christmas moss isn't needing of to much light. I have some in my 20 gallon with just 1 18 watt t8 and it's been doing good, it actually came in dead and sprouted up again.

Back
Top Bottom