Most important water parameters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishyb

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay, I finally bought my tank 125, I am in the process of getting it set up right now. I know water parameters are a big thing. However, I am going to my father in laws to get some of my fish back. 1 Rope Fish, 1 Pink tail chalseus. I want to stock some a large school of Angels, and a few Pictus Catfish. I know the water parameters are a little different for these fish. They all fall into the same PH range however the KH is a little different for each fish. My rope and Pink tail will be fine. The angels are on the lower end. The tiger barbs will be right in the middle. (top end for them)

Lets be realistic here, we are not running natural rivers or lakes. We all have our own tastes in what we want to see, and have. I know these are fish that wouldn't live together in the wild. However, my rope and pink tail are doing great. The pictus cats in his tank are doing great. However, what is the most very important thing when it comes to water parameters. I know nitrates and ammonia and temperatures are a big factor. Ph levels are to. Does KH have a huge effect on the fish. The angels pretty hardy as far as I can remember.

Basically I am looking for information on water parameters and what can be bent and what can't. I am also looking for some real answers to what people have going on in their tanks. Thank you.

Stable water parameters trump specifics for most scenarios. Weekly water changes will keep that in check. Letting the nitrates climb to toxic levels is bad.. letting water sit in a tank for a month than changing 50% can cause more harm than good. Unless you're getting into soft water cichlids or wild caught fish? Stability is it..
Now.. I know it's not the topic but... tiger barbs and angels could be messy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Nitrates are a very low issue in tanks, the less toxic of all the levels, nitrates have not been studied in warm water fish only cold water, I agree to high is bad but no one knows what to high is because there's never been a study in nitrates on warm water fish except guppy fry and that was 900ppm, so what is "toxic"

Ammonia
NITRITE (don't know if you meant nitrite instead of nitrates)
Nitrate
Ph
Angels like warmer water but are hearty my tank is 78-79 degrees

Back
Top Bottom