most of my fish seem to be itching them selfs. help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boggerscott

Aquarium Advice Regular
seems most of my fish are itching themselves on the rocks and my angles are like loosing there color. what could this be? i have a uv sterilizer. i thought that would kill any paricites plus i give all my fish prior to introducing them into the tank a fresh water bath. any help would be nice or recomendations thanks.

How old is your bulb? How long is the contact time(gph)? Does it have a wiper and have you cleaned it lately? How many watts for how many gallon tank?

A UV helps, but will not prevent or cure a parasitic outbreak.
How long have the fish been in the tank? Also, what is your stock? Water parameter?
Do you own or have access to a qt tank?

i have had the uv for like a month. it said it was good for a tank 125 to 200 gal. the tank has been up for about 1 1/2 years . i have introduced a couple new fish latly and the uv. but like i said before i give all my new fish a bath before i put them in my tank. i see no white spot no film nothing to the eyes . so i dont know they just all of a sudden saided itching them selfs. i just put a snail in there but they killed it in a day , but i even gave it a fresh water bath. the fish that are itching are koran angle, mimic tang, dog face puffer, some black and white angle, dory, and a damsel. so i dont know??? but there is a way to clean the uv??? thanks any more help i would app...

For the future a qt tank would be a good investment. Isolate the new fish in it for a month to see if any parasites develop. Much easier to treat in a qt setting. FW dips are not really a good way to keep entrenched parasites out of a system.
But for now....
Check early in the AM, right after the lights come on for spots. My guess since you have recently placed new fish in the system is that you have a developing parasitic outbreak. Is everyone eating OK? How is the water quality? Specifically ammonia, nitrate and PH?
Here is a good article on ich.
http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/marineich.html

Back
Top Bottom