Moving a mbuna tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lisa67

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Now that I finially have my mbuna tank just the way I want it I've decided to move it. I bought a bigger tank (72 gal) and want to put it where my 55 gal tank now stands. The 55 gal needs to be moved to the next room. I will be buying a new stand for it.

First, I obviously want to cause as little stress on the fish as possible. Any pointers? Also, my tank is full of lava rock. When I move it around, small pieces crumble all over the place. I always worry that it will effect the fish, but so far it hasn't. But with a big move I have to take them all out at the same time.. I'm thinking its going to make quite a mess. I have to remove the rocks before the fish or I'll never be able to catch them.

basically you going to have to completely drain and remove all substrate, that way you dont put to much stress on the tank and break a seal.

Here is how I do it (and I have done it about 6-7 times):

Remove decor (be sure to keep filter media wet)
Remove fish to tubs (airstones a good idea to put in with fish)
Drain all water
Remove substrate
move tank
Set up at new location
Put substrate and decor in
fill with dechlored temp matched water
start up filters
replace fish

All should be fine. Worst case senario you have a mini cycle.

Save some of the water in like 5 g buckets and move the fish in there with a heater

Back
Top Bottom