Moving a Reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

got bait?

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am going to be moving in a couple of weeks. I have a 100gal reef set up with 95% softies- a whole bunch! Yellow Tang, Lawn Mower, Lyretail, Coral Beauty and YS Maroon Clown, other corals- torch and Candy. 200lbs LR, 150lbs. LS.

GOOD NEWS. I am moving right next door. I can literally scoop up a fish and run the 100 ft to their new location.

I will keep as much water as possible. I assume I will need to remove (because of the weight) the LS, tank is an Acrylic BF. What will happen to my water parameters by me stirring up all of that sand.

I know there are a lot of post on moving a tank, but in my case I am walking over everything. I am moving to the back unit of my duplex.
Didn't know if I can do anything different.

I moved my 125 without removing the ls via a furniture dolly. I put all the lr in rubbermaid containers, the fish in separate containers, then my friend and I lifted the tank with about 200 lbs of ls down to the furniture dolly. This way it stirred up the least amount of sand possible. It was really hard to drop and lift, but if you have two strong guys and want the quickest way to do it without stirring up and scooping a whole lot of sand, it worked for me.

The furniture dolly was one of those that is just 2 by 4s in a rectangle with 4 wheels. Worked great. Just be careful to balance it, and only going a short distance should work.

I have the monster task of moving my 55 gallon freshwater tank and my 125 gallon reef w/sump about 340 miles to my new home next month. Still looking for a house at the moment.

Still pondering what to do on that. I'm thinking several 5 gallon bucks and put each fish in a bucket with 4 gal water each.. then put a battery powered air pump with a big splitter to run airstones in each bucket.. then put my live rock in my big trash cans about half full with water.. then put my sand in another trash can with enough water to cover it.

What do you guys think? Don't mean to hijack this thread... just seems like the same stuff.. but just over a longer distance.

Any way you can bag the fish and send them to a LFS or address at the new place.

I moved my 55 gallon reef with 100 pounds of LR and LS about 120 miles 3 years ago. Here is what I did, and I had no coral or fish die on me during the one day trip.

I had a second 55 tank gathering dust, so I set it up on the floor of the new house a week before I moved the tank. I got a few extra powerheads, and heater, and mixed almost the whole tank full of new saltwater. I brought a 5 gallon bucket with LR from the tank with me, and dropped that in to seed the water.

I put all the LR in plastic bins I got from walmart with lids. I put those on a trailer and filled them up with water from the tank. I guess I tried to move about 50 gallons worth of the water, just about all of it. I put the glass tank on there, and since I only had an inch of sand, I just left it in there with a little water so it would not dry out.

I got a gatoraide bucket (5 gallon) with a screw on lid from somewhere, and all the fish and coral went into it. Fill with water, cap, wrap with towel (it will leak a bit) and wedge into floor between front and rear seat of Ford Explorer.

Drive

Do everything in reverse when you arrive. A LOT of water sloshed out of the storage bins during the drive, even with the lids on, so I only saved about 35 gallons of it. Some of that was full of crud that got stirred up, so I only transfered maybe 25 gallons of water into the new house, but I had 40 or so gallons waiting for me so I was ok.

One week after I arrived, I noticed my 55 was leaking a small amount of water from one corner. I used this as an excuse to run out and buy a 75 gallon and upgrade! I had to tear everything down again, one week after I moved it, but it was worth it.

The fish I moved with no deaths were: Pacific blue tang, yellow coris, arc-eye hawk, and a domino damsel. The corals were zoos mostly and a few leathers.

If you can do it, I would set up a container to mix fresh salt a week before you move the tank - so you end up doing a 50% water change. If you do it like I did, it is not really a water change since the water will be seasoned for a week when you add it. Just put the container close to where the tank will go and I have a powerhead with a flex tube on it that I use to pump the water up into the new tank.

If you are moving so far that you may not be able to get everything tore down and set up in one day, I would advise selling off the fish to a LFS, or on the way out bring the fish to the LFS and have them bag them like they were selling them, and add oxygen to the bags. They should be OK in the bags for 24-36 hours if you regulate the temp and keep them in the dark. Ditto for the corals.

Good luck moving! you have one hell of a job in front of you!

I am moving my tank over two thousand miles from WA state to Virginia. I have some friends that will hold the livestocka dnthen ship it to me when I set the tank up here. Live rock will go in tubs with wet towels and some water at the bottom. Sand will be dumped and new sand purchased when I get the tank set up.

Do you think bagging them up at the LFS is a better option than putting them in their own water in 5 gallon bucks each.. tang in 4 gal by itself.. gobies in 4 gal.. six line in 4 gal... maroon in 4 gal... then fill three 32gal trash cans 3/4 full... thats almost enough for the whole tank to be full not counting sump. I could put an airline into the buckets with each fish.

or just have them bag up all the fish for me and put in oxygen tabs i nthe bags and put them in a cooler upright?

I am goign to have the same problem eventually however mine will be on a much smaller scale. I have a 10 gallon reef tank, 10 gallon FW breedign tank and a 29 gallon mixed FW tank. FW is a bit eaiser to move and is jsut work. But the 10 gallon reef tank is goign to be a pain.

I think I will probably try to keep some of the water that I suck out of the tank during PWC and put it in a buckets and move it to the new residence. I will probably try to to them mix that with some new water and keep it in a bucket.

whne I do need to move the 10 allon I plan on removign about half of the water and then I want to try to lift it and see how heavy it is. IF possiable I would like to keep the water, sand and LR in the tank along with the corals and one fish. It is all goign to come down to weight and how easy it is to move. I need somehting that I can set it on that can be wheeled to the car. I don't want to crak the tank. BUt I also don't want to pull everyhting out.

but I am not moving anytiem in the very near future so I have time to think abotu it.

any advice.

bump- since I got jacked :wink: :wink: :wink:

My biggest concern is the water quality after stirring up the tank. I am goint to take out at much clear water as possible, stir it up a bit, move the sand to one side, then suck up the muck.

I'm using all purpose HD sand right now. Question....

I don't like the larger chunks in the sand and I was thinking of sifting them out with a strainer. If I were to buy two bags of sand it would cost 4 bucks at HD. I don't think I've really had much of an issue with the sand from HD. I know i would lose all the 'live' effect of my sand but I do have about 100 lbs of rock I'm also moving with the tank.

Would it be okay to ditch the sand in the tank and just buy new sand and sift it out?

I've also thought about going bare bottom but I'm not sure thats a good idea. I'd see all the fish poo. Also I have three gobies that love to dig in my sand.

Thanks

Yeah don't go bare bottom it is so ugly in my opinion, especially if you have sand sifter gobies. I think it would be a good idea to get new sand especially if you had a DSB, just make sure if you had nassurius snails to get them all out of the sand bed HTH.

I've also thought about going bare bottom but I'm not sure thats a good idea. I'd see all the fish poo. Also I have three gobies that love to dig in my sand.

Plus, there is sooo much surface area in the sand for beneficial bacteria and critters, that you would probably need to beef up your filtration some how. Or get a larger sump/refugium.

I'm using all purpose HD sand right now

Assume "Old Castle" or equivelant, not Quickrete or other silicate sand?

Well I think I have decided to throw away the sand and buy some new sand. I can get 80 lbs for 50 bucks at petsmart.

i would keep a bit of the sand if I were you - Wash it clean in a bucket with some clean saltwater from when you tear down the system. Keep the stuff damp during the move, and put it on the botton of the tank and put the new stuff on top of it. You will be giving that new sand a kick-start on it's bacteria.

Just my 2 cents,
David

GOT BAIT?
ive moved both of my tanks twice and the only problem i had was nitrates and phosphates when i got the up and running again. maybe , rinse the sand or try moving the tank with the sand in it. the second is a little risky but it should hold if you careful.
my buddy helped my move a 30 gallon with about 40 pounds of sand in it, droped it on one side, and its been running fine for a year now.
just do a few water changes after the move , if you dont rinse, and you should be fine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom