Moving Fishes 4 hours away

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gamerxx13

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am moving about 4 hours away. Currently I have 3 gourami. I am taking everything in my car. Any suggustions on how to do the move and have it to be the most convenient for the fish? I want them to have the least amount of stress. Any suggestions on what to do or what I should use to carry the fish will be extremely helpful! Thank you!

Well, you have just 3 gourami? Put each fish in a separate plastic can( at least 4g ).
Gouramis have labyrinth organ (that allows them to gulp air and use atmospheric oxygen).
LE: I'd worry about the tank. In four hours amonia cycle will be broken.

I would put the fish in a bucket or cooler. Keep the gravel and filter media wet. If the tank is larger than 20 gallons, empty it of all gravel. When you arrive be sure to acclimate the fish to the new home. If the water is different there you may want to bring some of your clean tap water with you to ease the transition.

As long as the media stays wet you have atleast 24 hours before any significant loss of the biological filter.

Since it's only 3 fish, why not pick up some bags that the lfs uses. Put one fish in each and then pack them in a cooler with towels so as not to jostle them. Make sure it's dark for the fish so the move won't stress them out so much. Get one of those 2g or 5g buckets with lids (Loews, Home Depot) and fill it with tank water and put your filter media in it with all of your decor, plants, rocks. That should help in keeping the bacteria alive.

4 hours isn't that bad. The fish should be okay. Just think of it as bringing home a fish you picked up from an lfs you had to drive a ways to get to.

I agree that I'd be more worried about how to transport the glass tank. How big is it?

It is a 20 gallon tank. What do you recommend me doing with it then. Im really worried but im going away for college so I must bring it. Thanks!

Bag or put the fish in a bucket. I think you will be fine leaving the gravel in the tank, just empty all water. Twenty gallon with just gravel is what 40 pounds maybe. Keep your filter sponges wet. Good luck at school.

I think as long as it fits in your dorm room (or apt) then it will be great! I wish I had thought of having a fish tank when I was at college. ^_^b

Most schools only allow a 10 gallon tank btw... and they do check... might want to be sure they won't make you get rid of your fishes. (Hence why I only have an 8gal!)

I'm a saltie (we generally toss the old sand because it stirs up lots of nasties, the freshies use a gravel vac to remove said nasties), but couldn't you drain most of the water and transport the tank with enough water to cover the substrate (to preserve the beneficial bacteria)?
Another suggestion, throw a sponge in the tank to cultivate the bacteria (for about 1-2 weeks), do as above but take the water with you and let the sponge float in the tank water (in a cooler) and use that to help re-seed the tank.
I would also say, have some extra PWC just in case.
Sorry for the cross platform help, but the SW side is slow...lol.

Last edited:
Bag or put the fish in a bucket. I think you will be fine leaving the gravel in the tank, just empty all water. Twenty gallon with just gravel is what 40 pounds maybe. Keep your filter sponges wet. Good luck at school.
I second that! I have moved tanks of fish from Moscow, ID to Calgary, Alberta, from Calgary to Spokane, and from Spokane to Vancouver, WA. Anything bigger than a 29 we removed the gravel. For a 20, you should be okay. 4 hours is nothing--you're fish won't even notice. Keep the filter media wet and the tank will likely not have to cycle again.

Back
Top Bottom