Moving in April

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

builtf0rdtough

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I finally got my tank cycled fully, and everything is good, but now Im moving soon...will this ruin my cycle? Im sure Ill have to take out 80% of the water to move the tank, its a 29g. Will taking out that much water ruin the bacteria levels and make me have to re-cycle? And do I need to take the fish out and transport them via waterbag, or in some other sort of bucket, or just leave them in shallow water while I move the tank....thoughts, advice..please and thank you!:thanks:

How far are you moving?
No, removing the water will not ruin the cycle as long as you keep the filter media/gravel wet during the move. :)

I'm no expert but I've always heard your tank should be completely empty when moving it at all. Even if you do I would not keep the fish in the tank. I would bag them. How far are you moving?

builtf0rdtough said:
about a mile away. No more than 2 miles. so not far at all. lol

Just take out any filter material you have and put in bags or a bucket. Like the other guy said just keep it in water and the bacteria will be fine

good deal, phew, I feel better. I was getting worked up thinking I was going to have to re-cycle the tank again after just getting it right.

Oh yeah, you will be fine. :)
You can either put the fish in bags or buckets depending on how big they are and what is easier, but either method will work. :)
I put mine in buckets because some of them are big and drained out most of the water and put my filter media in a bag of tank water. It went smoothly. :)

Back
Top Bottom