Moving small tank - opinions needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twoodrough

Aquarium Advice Freak
Which causes more stress to fish: Netting them to move, or dropping the water down to about 2 inches and moving the tank intact?

The drive is only about 10 minutes and new water would be added as soon as we get there. This is a 10 gallon fresh tank with 5 fish in it. I feel like if I drop the water the fish will just feel it as an 80% water change. otherwise, I am going to spend more time chasing the fish than I am transporting them.

Either way is fine. Just make sure to add the new water slowly and make sure no decorations can fall on top of them in transit.

I would never move a tank with water in, the sloshing can put pressure on the seams.

Also the weight of the substrate/decor will also be prone to shifting, again causing un wanted pressure points.

I'd say just be safe and reduce any risk of damaging the tank, netting fish in a 10 gal shouldn't be too hard and then you can either remove the substrate or make sure when you move it it won't shift.

I would never move a tank with water in,

+1

I wouldn't even move the tank across the room like you propose, never mind in a vehicle. You're asking for stress fractures. Bag the fish, put them in a cooler or dark environment, and they won't get stressed. Empty the tank completely and move with no concerns.

Its not as big of a deal with smaller tanks but there's always a chance to bust a seal from stress. I've moved many small tanks by dropping the water down as far as possible but leaving substrate in. By the time you siphon it down low the fish are easy to catch since they don't have anywhere to run. Always put them in a container of clean water, you don't want them breathing in that substrate gunk dislodged by the move.

Back
Top Bottom