Moving tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boadams87

Aquarium Advice Addict
Im getting a tank today that's established with everything, how can I make the transition as smooth as possible with little effect on the fish? PLEASE ADVISE

Hi! You have your work cut out for you! I would reccomend getting some bags that are used to transport live fish, a large plastic storage bin, and a bunch of 5gal buckets. The fish will need to be bagged in adequate tank water with adequate air. As few per bag as you can manage. Place all of the bags of fish upright in the large plastic storage bin for easy transport. If there arent many fish, the bags can be placed upright in a 5g bucket. All of the filter media & any plants/decor will need to be placed in bags of tank water as well- do not let them dry out. These can be placed in bucket as well for easy transport.

Empty the tank completely of water while gravel vac'ing. If there is any substrate (gravel, sand, etc), place this in a 5g bucket as well. If theres alot of it, you may need more than 1 bucket. You can place a drawstring garbage bag in the bucket first to keep everything clean & prevent spills.

When you get home, reverse the process. Add back the substrate, condition & fill the tank, add any plants/decor, setup the filters & media & get everything up & running. Float the bags of fish in the new water to equalize the temps & follow the 'drip acclimatization' process to introduce them to their new water. If your not familiar with drip acclimatization, google U-Tube for how-to videos. Monitor your tank conditions for atleast a wk or so afterwards to make sure there are no spikes in ammonia and/or nitrites- if there are, do water changes as needed.

I think thats everything but ask if you have questions or I missed something! Good luck with the move!!!! :)

I knew it was gonna be alot of work. But I've got all my totes ready. Just don't have any fish bags. These fish are rather big. And im changing substrate

Make sure your new substrate is already ready to use (well rinsed) before you even start this process. They make very large fish bags. Or you can purchase ziploc bags in 5g & 10g sizes (i use them to store my daughters toys) & add one fish per bag & place the bag in 5g bucket or large storage container for transport. You will def need to monitor your water parameters for atleast 2wks after the move since you are replacing the substrate. :)

Oh I've washed and washed it. Oh ill keep a close eye on it. Thanx for ur help

I am not sure what you mean by 'tote'. If its a large plastic storage bin, you should be fine as long as they are well rinsed & you drive carefully to keep the fish from being sloshed around & banging into the sides of the bin. Good luck with your move!!!!

Back
Top Bottom