Moving Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Km84

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im moving in about a month or so and would like to know the best way to move my tanks. One is a 20gal with my young angels and loaches. And the other is a 55gal with a convict, jd and an unidentified fish. That tank I will be converting into sand instead of gravel. Any ideas on the best ways to move my fish. It's about a 45 min drive.

sounds like a perfect excuse to upgrade, get the larger tank set it up seed it with your existing filter media

I'm not upgrading any of the tanks just the decor. I don't know how to transport my fish safely and how to go about keeping it all cycled. And no regular outlet that I'm aware of.

Ok. You could put the fish in buckets and get battery operated air pump and hook them up to air stones and put airstones in the buckets.

Ok. You could put the fish in buckets and get battery operated air pump and hook them up to air stones and put airstones in the buckets.

This is what i did when i moved my 45g tank about 6 months ago but it was more like a 15 min drive for me. i took all of my fish out and put them in a bucket with an air stone and took everything (gravel and all) except for about 3-6 inches of dirty good bacteria filled water in the bottom. i would recommend a bucket with a lid and drill a hole in the top of it for the air tube, Or at least one with tall sides. Keep in mind to have everything that you need at the place where you are moving to ready to go into the tank when you get there. And if you can save at least half of your tank water so that you can introduce your fish faster, that way you can kinda think of it like a 50% water change. And some kind of stress reducer would be good for your fish for the ride too!

How big are the fish?
I moved mine in a bucket without airstones, and it was a half hour drive. When I buy fish from the lfs it's an hour drive. And keep in mind, people ship fish.
When I revamped my tank I put my fish in a tote with the heater in it and a hob filter on the side. They were in the tote for hours.
They're resilient ;-)

They range from the smallest being the one that I don't know what it is being about 1.5" and the largest being about 3.5"

Back
Top Bottom