MOVING & Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was just notified by landlord that he is putting up the condo for sale...
Which means I'm not sure when the ending point of this all will happen, but I am guessing this will put a halt on my tank dreams/thoughts/goals for now...
I currently have:
-- 10g tank with male Halfmoon Betta tank & 2 Otos (not parting with)

-- 10g fry tank with 46 two week old Molly fry & 4 tiny platy fry in it

-- 20g L tank with several Platies, my male Black Molly (Blaze--favorite) guppy, 3 Otos, 3 Ghost Shrimp

-- 29g tank with 2 Dalmatian Mollies (Cruella-- favorite), 1 Silver Lyretail Molly (Charger--favorite), 1 female Black Molly, 1 female Betta, 3 Otos

Not sure if I will have to rent a room or I'll be lucky enough to find a place that will allow me to rent a room and keep a tank in the living room... OR I'll REALLY be lucky and be able to rent an apt.

Few thoughts and options here I'd like to run by you experienced people.

A. Go ahead with purchase and consolidation of my 2 tanks into the 40g I was planning on buying within the next couple weeks... And also sell my 29g.

B. Pick my favorite fish and consolidate into my 20g L aquarium... And sell my 29g & 1 of my 10g's, keeping my 20g in "storage", grow out fry/sell them when they reach approx 1".

I realize some apts have gallon rules and won't allow a tank over 20g, which is one of the reasons regardless of the 40g purchase I want to save the 20g tank.
Perhaps it's a waste of money being unable to know time frame of sale of condo... Could be 4 mths, 6 mths.. 1 year... And I should just consolidate now before I get even more invested into a 40g that I'm possibly not going to be able to keep anyway.???
Perhaps I should painfully put together a healthy stock list in my 20g (with your help) and sadly rehome the other fish...?

If so... Make the changes now and put up the tank(s) and fish up on Craigslist...??

Please help guys... This was completely unexpected and I want absolutely nothing but the best for my fish...

Start looking for a place allowing large tanks
if that fails, just tell them the 40 is a 20(lol)
Heard it said on here before

I would ride it out for a bit. I doubt the sale of a condo will be quick. I would look for another place. If you're going to get the boot, you might as well do it on your own terms/timeline.

Even if some apartments say no fish tanks, ask them! I asked my past landlord if they allowed pets (I knew they didn't) and she asked me what I had. I said a fish tank and then she asked how many gallons. I only had my 10g at the time but was planning on buying a 30g long. Long story short, I had 3 tanks while I was there and she complimented me on them whenever she saw them.

Even the maintenance guys were amazed by the planted tank I had going for a while. Moral of the story, it never hurts to ask! :)

I would absolutely start looking for a place now. Ask the landlord if he/she has any other facilities that you might be able to rent. Or, if you want to keep it on the hush-hush from the landlord while you look, just scope out what's around you. I've had better luck with renting in a multi-family home when it comes to pets of any kind. Usually, with no additional deposit or monthly rent fee.

The landlord is just a private owner of a condo in a big 3 story complex...
I don't have the credit or a cosigner to get into a place on my own without some sort of subsidized housing...

I have 2 Service Dogs (one retiring & one in training), another dog,(all 3 are small dogs) and a 9 wk old kitten... Then the tanks...

I'm contemplating getting the 40g and doing what I said above in my original post, but then what if it is only a 20g limit and then I'm back to starting point and have to rehome fish at that point anyway...
I'm afraid of how to move and maybe I should start a thread on how many I can stock in a 20g ???

HELPPPP

If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't do anything new or different with my tanks. You're going to have to play the waiting game, unfortunately.

With regard to finding a new place, if you've been paying rent for a while, you've got credit. ;)

Back
Top Bottom