Moving to bigger tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

summercgreen

Aquarium Advice Regular
Currently I have a 55g. I just recently purchased a 150g. I'm just wondering the best way or how to move the fish. How long do I need it to cycle before adding the fish. I would add water from the current tank and the rest of it as I move the fish over. I just don't want to start off wrong.

If you move the filter from the 55 to the 150, you should be fine and not have to cycle the tank before you transfer your fish. Just watch your levels.

Should I transfer some of the water also? I went down to the fish store and she said I should add some "stability" to the water when I add the fish.

greetings.

"stability" sounds like she wants to sell you a product, just pour over the water from your 55g, and add/change water like you normally do.

as bud points out most of the beneficial bacteria is in the filter, in theory with the same water and filter you sould pretty much be set, keeping track of levels is never a bad thing though.

Last edited:
If I move my filter system over to the other tank do I move the fish as well right away? My current filter is a fluval C4. Will this be enough to start the system. Obviously I'll have the filter running as well that came with the bigger tank but its not established at all. I'm worried that my levels will go out of wack and the fish won't be able to tolerate it.

All the advice given so far has been great. I would add that in addition to moving the filter, probably without cleaning it for a while, that you also move all of the substrate and decor from the smaller tank. I would also just leave the old filter on the new tank indefinitely. Of course you would be adding the new filter as well but maybe seed the new filter with some dirty media from the old one. You might as well keep all the water from the 55 since you will be adding a ton of new water maybe just add enough new water at first to get the filters going and then gradually add water over the next few hours to fill the tank up. You could probably skip some of these ideas but just throwing them out there. I have done a bunch of upgrades and long as you keep a lot of old dirty stuff you should be fine.

Oh yeah and it kind of goes without saying that as soon as you move the filter over the fish should move over pretty quickly after that.

Back
Top Bottom