Multiple female bettas together?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jadedrain_06

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 2 10 gal tanks that I am in the process of cycling. I was thinking of doing one with 2 female bettas. Do females do well together? Would 10 gallons be enough for 2? Would I be able to add any bottom dwellers to the tank? I am not going to overcrowd by any means. I have just heard mixed things about them fighting and things from the other end of the spectrum about them making awesome community fish. Has anyone had success with 2 females living together?

This is a tricky one. Most people that I've seen write about this topic have had very negative experiences with female betta sororities. I had one and was successful with it. I had 8 females in a 20 gallon tank. The theory is that the more females, the more spread out the aggression.

In a 10 gallon, there is nowhere for the females to hide from each other. Keep in mind that the females can be just as nasty as the male bettas when it comes to aggression.

Because the vast majority of people have not been successful, I suggest a sorority tank for only experienced fishkeepers, as you have to know what to look for in the behavior of the fish and you always have to have a solid backup plan if it doesn't work out.

Thank you LyndaB! I have no problem admitting I am a complete newbie and appreciate your honesty. The last thing I want to do is to be stuck in a sticky situation. The whole reason I wanted to start fish keeping is because my daughter has medical issues that do not allow her to be around a lot of other people because of her compromised immune system. We have to be very careful and now that I am a complete stay at home mom I am going batty with nothing to do since it is cold/flu/rsv season. I just want a hobby that works for both my daughters schedule and my own. She just turned one and we put one of the tanks in her room and even though there is nothing in it yet she watches it until she falls asleep and has slept so much better since. So it not only keeps mommy sane but baby happy too =)

I agree with LyndaB that a 10 gal is in no way large enough, even planted like a jungle, to provide them with adequate space. In general I say no to sororities, but if the girls were all sisters who had always been in the same tank and, the tank was large enough and planted well enough, it just may work. It's not something I will be trying again. It was WAY too stressful and in the end I had to get individiual tanks for all the girls.

I've had great luck with a single betta and some non-betta tankmates in 10 gals though. That might be a better idea for you. :)

because of her compromised immune system.

I share this with your daughter...... it's not so bad as an adult, because I am a real homebody anyway..... if I were a mall rat or a socialite, I think it'd pose much more of an issue. My best wishes to you and your daughter. ;)

Back
Top Bottom