Mumma's 40L paludarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you :) I usually update late at night my time which is the really early hours of the morning in the US. Guess it must get buried by morning. Lol

Ah, that must be it. Lol, it kind of reminds me of the frogs I used to keep (dont ask why, I was younger and I thought frogs were cool :lol: ) My setup was something like that.

Been a while since I've updated. Not much has changed. The plants are growing slowly. I'm not dosing any sort of fertilizer and changing 1/2 the water weekly. Life has been pretty busy lately so the tank hasn't had much TLC. Did some pruning of the plants tonight. Some of the tips of the leaves had browned so I removed them. In my attempt to reduce the number of tanks I have, I have placed one of my Bettas in the tank. He seems to be doing just fine though a bit cramped. I had to add a small heater in with the pump. It causes a lot of condensation in the tank over night if I forget to open the lid. I think that's is what is causing some of the leaves to die off. I tore down my shrimp tank a while ago and added the rest if my shrimp. The betta has managed to eat most if the young ones but the adults are doing well. The aquatic plants are a bit of a mess. I will have to give them a tidy up next water change.

image-2049960395.jpg

image-2992428432.jpg

image-519770720.jpg

image-955977206.jpg

Last edited:
Still loving it! ;) :popcorn:

Some of the plants are probably liking the condensation. For the others, could you make a little stopper on the lid, and give it maybe 1-2 cm space to vent, and see how that goes. That way you don't need to fuss with it everyday (open/close/open) and the other plants have some time to dry a bit.

Still loving it! ;) :popcorn:

Some of the plants are probably liking the condensation. For the others, could you make a little stopper on the lid, and give it maybe 1-2 cm space to vent, and see how that goes. That way you don't need to fuss with it everyday (open/close/open) and the other plants have some time to dry a bit.

Thank you! (again ;)) I think the spider plants aren't liking the conditions very much. They will come out eventually when I get around to finding some other plants. I do have some small bromeliads I want to add but I don't know what kind they are or if they will get massive...
Good idea with the lid! 1/3 of the lid at the front hinges separately to the rest. I was thinking of removing it altogether. Something to think about.

After many months of neglect (other than water changes!) the tank isn't doing so well. My betta was recently euthanized because of a tumor that was restricting his mouth movement. He was starting to struggle to eat and breathe. Kept an eye on him for weeks and thought it was finally time. :( A lot of the plants are suffering from deficiencies. I'm tempted to flood the whole tank and plant aquatic plants on the platforms. It's that or gut it and put it in storage. I'm wanting to start another tank but I'm time and space restricted and this tank is on the top of the cull list unfortunately. Inhabitants are two lonely neons, a handful of shrimp and a tiny bristlenose fry that ended up in there by accident.

image-3635733262.jpg

It's totally savable but I'm not sure if I could be bothered.

Last edited:
After many months of neglect (other than water changes!) the tank isn't doing so well. My betta was recently euthanized because of a tumor that was restricting his mouth movement. He was starting to struggle to eat and breathe. Kept an eye on him for weeks and thought it was finally time. :( A lot of the plants are suffering from deficiencies. I'm tempted to flood the whole tank and plant aquatic plants on the platforms. It's that or gut it and put it in storage. I'm wanting to start another tank but I'm time and space restricted and this tank is on the top of the cull list unfortunately. Inhabitants are two lonely neons, a handful of shrimp and a tiny bristlenose fry that ended up in there by accident.

It's totally savable but I'm not sure if I could be bothered.
That stinks :( IMO it still looks good in the picture

That stinks :( IMO it still looks good in the picture

The magic of photography. Lol.

Serious?! I love it! Can you perhaps sell it as is? It's just too cool to tear down :-(

Sorry about your betta :cry:

Thanks. I'm still debating what to do with it. It'll probably get moved onto the floor for now to make room.

Hi Mumma...I have been looking into paludariums and came across your thread...I read the whole 8 pages and if you haven't tore it down yet, I will beg you to not do it. This is such a pretty project to be torn down. :-( I wish I am near you so I can buy it from you so I don't have to make my own. But I agree with everyone...this project is one of the beautiful projects ever...

Hi Mumma...I have been looking into paludariums and came across your thread...I read the whole 8 pages and if you haven't tore it down yet, I will beg you to not do it. This is such a pretty project to be torn down. :-( I wish I am near you so I can buy it from you so I don't have to make my own. But I agree with everyone...this project is one of the beautiful projects ever...

Thank you so much :) the tank still exists. I moved some furniture about and bought a 'stand' from the thrift store for my other tank. :) looks like its been saved lol.

Thank you so much :) the tank still exists. I moved some furniture about and bought a 'stand' from the thrift store for my other tank. :) looks like its been saved lol.

Oh very good. Yayyy!:thanks: That's awesome. I am going to start mine tomorrow. Not going to use the normal equipment since I don't have the budget right now. I will look around the house for some inspiration. :) Thank you for this wonderful build!:)

Back
Top Bottom