munch-proof plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lardeelion

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay, nothing is munch-proof. I know that. However, my angel has weed whacked his way through everything that's green and over 5 inches tall. Swords, rotala, cabomba, val....gone. He ignores the tiger lotus and the lower plants like crypts and ferns. I'm willing to buy more plants but only to a point.

Has anyone found a tall background plant that isn't so munchable?

And yeah, I know. They're bratty cichlids. It's what they do.

I heard java ferns have a bitter taste , so most fish leave them alone. On their own the don't get super tall, but on the right piece of driftwood they might substitute as a good background for you...

Well this isn't munch proof but it grows so fast you won't notice if it gets munched anyway. Water wisteria. Lately mine has been growing so fast that I am having to cut and trim it every couple of days. I measured it just to see how fast it was growing and it grew like 4 inches a week! It went from 11 to 15inches.

Java fern idea is a great one. I have some big ones so maybe they just need a vertical boost.

I thought about the wisteria too. I had a wisteria jungle for months and of course whacked it back right before Mr. Angel came to live with me. D'oh!

Thanks, folks.

I do blanched zucchini that I rubber band to a rock or you can buy a veggie clip. I have also heard of using cooked shelled peas. But that one I haven't tried yet.

I have frozen cubes of some sort of veggie matter (the same company that makes the bloodworm and shrimp cubes) and I think they appreciate them. I haven't given them any for a while. I'll try that. And whatever fresh veggies my kids reject.

I have 12 large adult angels in my 220g that I have to add blanched zucchini every day along with feeding cooked, deshelled, slightly smushed peas every 2 or 3 days along with their regular food. This is the only way I've been able to keep my angels from eating on a lot of my more delicate plants. And considering they are in a 100% planted 220g tank with many delicate plants I find it's worth the daily effort of adding fresh veggies to the tank daily. I do use veggie clips for everything but the peas.

Back
Top Bottom