My 7.5 Nano - The Beginning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Emlee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've recently purchased a 7.5 gallon setup that I am setting up to be a saltwater tank. I have cycled it and as of yesterday after a water test at our local aquarium store in two days I can stock it with a few items. I am going to go ahead and wait an additional week to be 100% sure that it's ready along with getting another water test before purchasing anything. My plans are to have a couple of clown fish, some zoanthids, and a anemone. I'm going to keep the tank limited on what I put inside of it as to not over crowd and to give it a minimalist feel. Very beautiful and simple is what I am going for. Sorry for the blue on the images it's the blue LED light above. The LED light has both white and blue LEDs. *I added a question to the end for you pros out there.

So here is the set up as of now.

img_3345113_0_42e5ac97e38b34eec22f1693758da2de.jpg

img_3345113_1_f6be4da0bb09cc7b676421ed621aa59a.jpg

img_3345113_2_163f442ed0ab361f507490484d1b6952.jpg

Question for current saltwater pros:
Is my powerhead too strong if it's moving the sand completely away from the base of the tank?

A couple of things. Imo the tank is to small for clowns. Female occelaris can still get 3" and do swim around a fair amount. If you really have to have a clown that's really all that could go in the tank.

Tank is also way to small for most nems. Almost all anemones need intense lighting, stable parameters and a mature system. Bubble tips, the smallest nems can still get pretty decent sized.

Do you have any other specs on the light? Brand? Wattage? Amount of white/blue LEDs?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hey Bribo,

Thanks for the quick response. I actually don't know any other specs on the light. I'd have to look around and find them. I got the light from a friend who use to have a saltwater setup.

Edit: From what I found (which isn't much) it's Super Blue and 10000k Daylight.

Last edited:
I have the same light. Wave-point, six blue, two white, 8 watts. The blue spectrum is 455 (actinic is 420), per their website and you're right, it is 10000k on the two whites. For reference, here's the spectrum for a T5 marketed for corals and a metal halide for similar purpose.

It's a pretty fantastic light for $40ish. I do recommend doing a bit more research about what the light can and may not support before expending hopes and money on any specific corals/fish.

I have the same light. Wave-point, six blue, two white, 8 watts. The blue spectrum is 455 (actinic is 420), per their website and you're right, it is 10000k on the two whites. For reference, here's the spectrum for a T5 marketed for corals and a metal halide for similar purpose.

It's a pretty fantastic light for $40ish. I do recommend doing a bit more research about what the light can and may not support before expending hopes and money on any specific corals/fish.

Thanks!! I'll sure look into it. :)

If you're going cheap lighting there's always par38s those have good reviews for small tanks.

A pair of clowns would be too big for 7.5 IMO I would go with a clown goby or a small shrimp goby and pistol shrimo

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

If you're going cheap lighting there's always par38s those have good reviews for small tanks.

A pair of clowns would be too big for 7.5 IMO I would go with a clown goby or a small shrimp goby and pistol shrimo

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Not going for cheap lighting... Tank has inhabitants and everything is going absolutely great and flourishing fine.

Back
Top Bottom