My angel is mean

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gibberwatt

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all.

About three months ago, One of my male angels (Spaz) decided one day that he really didn't like my other male. So he beat the second male (Fido) mostly to death. I put Fido in my second aquarium, with some neon tetras, which Spaz had recently taken a taste to and I had moved. Earlier today, I noticed that the female (Shadow) in with Spaz had some scales missing:banghead:, and I immediately suspected Spaz.

So my questions are:
1. Do angelfish shed their scales?
and if not
2. How do I make Spaz nice?

Thanks

put him in his own tank , he wants to breed if she is not ready he might kill her , he will attack any male in his territory and unless you have a very big tank (100gal+) he will think the whole tank is his territory
ps neons are the natural prey of angels , they eat small fish , bugs shrimp

Angels do not shed.
Spaz is Spaz. Rehome him or put him in a different tank with Angels that have been already established or leave him on his own with different fish or sell him.
I've been where you are now and those are basically the only choices I've had.
Good luck.

put him in his own tank , he wants to breed if she is not ready he might kill her , he will attack any male in his territory and unless you have a very big tank (100gal+) he will think the whole tank is his territory
ps neons are the natural prey of angels , they eat small fish , bugs shrimp

So, what you are saying is that Spaz wants to do the thing, but Shadow doesn't, so I should put Spaz by himself. Am I right?

So, what you are saying is that Spaz wants to do the thing, but Shadow doesn't, so I should put Spaz by himself. Am I right?
Spaz probably needs to be in a tank without other angels or in a much larger tank.

Currently, Spaz is residing in a 29 with Shadow, a red tailed shark, and 6 panda cories (added saturday)

What size are the tanks that these fish are in or would be in?

That's probably the best question so far. As for angels, you must take into account that they are still cichlids. I've had both good and bad experiences with them. IMO/E, it really depends on each individual fish. As far as "wanting to", without knowing time you've had them or estimated age, it's difficult to determine. Also, pictures sometimes help.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

In my experience a 29G tank didn't offer enough room for the fish and caused them to want to fight. Mine was a tall tank and it was a big mistake, (also 20 years ago) They were still smallish 50 cent to dollar coin size.

I have 5 now in a 72G and they get in spats but not really fights. 2 of them are grown and the others are getting close. Lots of cover, plants and DW. I have another single one in a different tank.

In my experience a 29G tank didn't offer enough room for the fish and caused them to want to fight. Mine was a tall tank and it was a big mistake, (also 20 years ago) They were still smallish 50 cent to dollar coin size.

I have 5 now in a 72G and they get in spats but not really fights. 2 of them are grown and the others are getting close. Lots of cover, plants and DW. I have another single one in a different tank.

Agreed. Imo, 29 is enough for a single angel or a mated pair.

I got these almost two years ago. And I am working on the whole cover thing: I have several driftwood caverns for the angels, and a treehouse for the RTS, plus several liveish plants.

Back
Top Bottom