My API test results? Do I need to cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brandon3000

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So as you guys know I picked up a new 75 gallon that was already set up. I went and picked up ammonia in case I need to cycle it. But I took a sample of my water to PetsmArt and they said it was perfect. I know the strips aren't the most accurate so I picked up an API master test kit and tested it myself. These are the results. Do I need to cycle or has the glorious blessing happened where the BB survived the trip to my house and the tank is already cycled?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389639451.263726.jpg

So as you guys know I picked up a new 75 gallon that was already set up. I went and picked up ammonia in case I need to cycle it. But I took a sample of my water to PetsmArt and they said it was perfect. I know the strips aren't the most accurate so I picked up an API master test kit and tested it myself. These are the results. Do I need to cycle or has the glorious blessing happened where the BB survived the trip to my house and the tank is already cycled?View attachment 216526

Easy enough to test. Dose it like you want to cycle it and then test periodically. If the ammonia shows up on the initial test but then it's gone later, your bacteria are alive and well and just had a good feeding. You can then put fish in with confidence and use the rest of the bottle to clean your windows for the next couple years.

Back
Top Bottom