My Aquarium Lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MagicAfra

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So what I did for my lights was I got an extention cord (2.50) and hooked up two plug in adapters that allow you to screw light bulbs into (2.50EA) and I got a four pack of 100 watt equivalent compact flourescent bulbs (10) that gave off 1600 lumens at 5000K (daylight) each. When plugged in the two lights are quite bright and I am going to make a hood out of extra rain gutter closed off with wood at the ends.

I was wondering whether this is an excessive amount of light and what types of plants I might be able to get with it in a twenty gallon high. While the two hundred watts does seem excessive I am under the impression that lumens is a far more reliable way to measure light. From this article http://fotohobbist.com/blog/2011/07/31/lighting-for-planted-aquariums-watts-per-gallon-lsi-lumen-lux-what/ I found that this number of lumens would only be suitable for low light plants ((2*1600)/(24*12))=11lumens/square inch but surface area doesn't seem like a very reliable way to measure by when height is such an important factor in a twenty gallon.

I know that it is prefferrable to get 6000-6700K bulbs but these were the only ones that I could find and if I am not mistaken they give off light over a spectrum so hopefully at least some of the spectrums wavelenths are usable for plants.

So I was basically wondering what you think it will be like for plants and which type I can support with these lights.
Thank you in advance for your response.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom