My Aquascape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ever consider there might be a missing comma before lecturing? No didn’t think so.

I. Have. Been. Following. Every. Link. Given. To. Me. Since. My. First. Post. Take your trolling elsewhere.

Okay I’m getting rather annoyed I’m told don’t use this or that it doesn’t do this or that when it says on the bottle it does and water tests of my treated water shows it does and like what’s the point of this forum if all you do is basically tell new hobbyist

You’re doing this all wrong it really makes me want to just take my fish to the store where they’ll just kill them because they’re from a home aquarium and quit altogether...

It’s because these companies are extremely good at removing money from new hobbyists wallet and this is precisely why so many hobbyists quit before they even really start.

The whole concept of fishless cycling is flawed. Ammonia is TOXIC to aquatic animals.

Read post number 66
-70 here https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/bedside-aquarium.56709/page-4

You haven’t done anything wrong. You have clean water with a great looking airstone for oxygenation. You have plants to take in harmful ammonia. You have water changes at your disposal.

Just add the fish. Not too many and observe them. There’s no need to test test test. All it’s doing is confusing you and making your more reliant on them.

As a forum, we need to start encouraging people to move away from the fishless cycle and start giving people the tools and information on how to do a cycle with fish responsibly. Done responsibly, the risk associated with a fish in cycle is minimal, virtually zero. It is much more rewarding, so less confusing and is relatively inexpensive.

We are posting too many links to outdated information regarding nitrifying organisms and the nitrogen cycle and it needs to stop.

You haven’t done anything wrong. You have clean water with a great looking airstone for oxygenation. You have plants to take in harmful ammonia. You have water changes at your disposal.

Just add the fish. Not too many and observe them. There’s no need to test test test. All it’s doing is confusing you and making your more reliant on them.

As a forum, we need to start encouraging people to move away from the fishless cycle and start giving people the tools and information on how to do a cycle with fish responsibly. Done responsibly, the risk associated with a fish in cycle is minimal, virtually zero. It is much more rewarding, so less confusing and is relatively inexpensive.

We are posting too many links to outdated information regarding nitrifying organisms and the nitrogen cycle and it needs to stop.

You are the only one that gave me a link to information I didn’t have at my disposal already. I have a 15 gallon that I’m doing a fish in cycle with.

This 20gal has literally just a filter, heater, plants, decorations, one is metal so I’m concerned putting fish in because of that, hides, and substrate this tank has two days of fish food in it and a baggie with more it’s never been vacuumed and has only had 1 50% water change since it was started up.

I agree. I always do fish-in cycles with no problems

You are the only one that gave me a link to information I didn’t have at my disposal already. I have a 15 gallon that I’m doing a fish in cycle with.

This 20gal has literally just a filter, heater, plants, decorations, one is metal so I’m concerned putting fish in because of that, hides, and substrate this tank has two days of fish food in it and a baggie with more it’s never been vacuumed and has only had 1 50% water change since it was started up.
I'm sorry if my link was off putting. I was just trying to help with some different info you MAY have not seen. Don't give up, your doing great and fish keeping is a fun and occasionally relaxing hobby. The ppl on here are posting on this thread with the best of intentions, trying to be helpful. Not to criticize or chastise. I'm sorry you feel that way

The bullet points outlined in the posts from the link I provided really are some of the best information about running a tank you will find. It’s really not that difficult when you are aware of the fundamental elements that all aquariums need in order to function flawlessly.

The fish

Currently these two are in my 15gal but this 20gal is where they will be housed when it’s ready for them. I read the links provided today and some of the references linked in those links and even ordered a book that was mentioned.

Attachments

• 57EAE14D-07C2-4C9C-9062-83E7EE4962EF.jpg
    57EAE14D-07C2-4C9C-9062-83E7EE4962EF.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 18
  • C761E1A1-AEEF-427D-B819-F9E6262F8EC8.jpg
    C761E1A1-AEEF-427D-B819-F9E6262F8EC8.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 408823D0-6DE2-4B42-9DEB-33A240A037B7.jpg
    408823D0-6DE2-4B42-9DEB-33A240A037B7.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 20
Which book? Diana Walstads?

Yes I got her book just to read it because it was referenced by the scientific poster.

She said she thinks pic #3 is female. She can't tell on the other one. She said they are maybe still to young to definitely say

I can’t wait to figure out if they are a pair or not. I had three but one died and I think it was actually the partner of one of these two because these two like to stay in opposite sides of the tank unless I’m over there trying to get pictures.

Yes I got her book just to read it because it was referenced by the scientific poster.

I can’t wait to figure out if they are a pair or not. I had three but one died and I think it was actually the partner of one of these two because these two like to stay in opposite sides of the tank unless I’m over there trying to get pictures.
If they're m/f they'll more than likely pair off tho

Brilliant! I have it and have read it numerous times. I’d be interested to
see what has changed in her latest revision. Something I fell foul of when I first set up my soil tank. In order to keep co2 levels up I had very little surface movement. Not good. Freshly submerged John Innes No3 (chock full of extra organic matter). The microbes drained my o2 down trying to mineral the organic matter.

I’ve had many variations on soil tanks

IMG_2043.jpg

It’s such a fantastic substrate

IMG_2020.jpg

IMG_0315.jpg

It led me to write an article in the subject for this forum.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/the-soil-substrate-explained-343789.html

Back
Top Bottom