My Babies Are Having Babies!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just moved 4 very largely pregnant and square female Juvie's to my fry tank to birth....

** Dalmatian --15 wks old
** Creamsicle-- 15 wks old
** Creamsicle Lyretail-- 10 wks old
** Creamsicle Sailfin Lyretail-- 10 wks old

I was SOOO excited to see a sailin juvie.... But even better a Lyretail Sailfin!

Will post pics soon :)

i had this problem before...
i had two mollies that happened to be male that were about 3months old (this was before i really wanted to breed, and just watched what happened) and they were "going after" my largest female.
those little suckers mature quickly!...

djtypykuhl said:
i had this problem before...
i had two mollies that happened to be male that were about 3months old (this was before i really wanted to breed, and just watched what happened) and they were "going after" my largest female.
those little suckers mature quickly!...

Yes... I noticed my Creamsicle males develop their gonopodium at 7-10 wks...
(my Dalmatians not till 4 mths)
They impregnated all my female mollies and they were all birthing around 10-12 wks or so..

rabbits dont have anything on livebearers :)

You got that right! It took me YEARS to give away the babies and their babies and their babies......at one point the 75g was a swarm of mollies everywhere- and I started with only two; a gift from a friend.

You got that right! It took me YEARS to give away the babies and their babies and their babies......at one point the 75g was a swarm of mollies everywhere- and I started with only two; a gift from a friend.

wow... i have 12 mollies, 12 platies, 2 swordtails, 3 corys, and a pleco in my 29g breeder...
in other words: "god, help me!"

debisbooked said:

Your LFS's wouldnt buy them? Mine pay around $10/ 25 mollies

Your LFS's wouldnt buy them? Mine pay around $10/ 25 mollies

nope, im on my own there...
i posted a thread yesterday about it if your interested.
but, no, the only LFS near me won't buy livebearers for some reason... and i'm afraid to ask wal-mart, simply because i don't want to sign a death warrent for my fishies :(

djtypykuhl said:
i posted a thread yesterday about it if your interested.
but, no, the only LFS near me won't buy livebearers for some reason... and i'm afraid to ask wal-mart, simply because i don't want to sign a death warrent for my fishies :(

I just read your thread.... You've got it busy over there!
We'll see how long it takes to slow my operation down... My only male Molly died last night. He left behind 5 females

.. and i'm afraid to ask wal-mart, simply because i don't want to sign a death warrent for my fishies :(

Yea, my local Walmart pretty much neglects their fish department. I used to 'rescue' fish from then but decided I was only encouraging them to continue to sell fish.:ermm:

I just read your thread.... You've got it busy over there!
We'll see how long it takes to slow my operation down... My only male Molly died last night. He left behind 5 females

females will change gender if there is not enough males to continue their genetics (yes, this has been prooven) so you won't be out of business for long :)

Yea, my local Walmart pretty much neglects their fish department. I used to 'rescue' fish from then but decided I was only encouraging them to continue to sell fish.:ermm:

same here...
my last purchaces were actually wal-mart saves.
my local wal-mart is closing down it's live fish section by the end of the year, but continueing to sell fish supplies.
it's good that not too mant more fish will have to suffer "the wal-mart syndrone"

djtypykuhl said:
females will change gender if there is not enough males to continue their genetics (yes, this has been prooven) so you won't be out of business for long :)

Hmm they've all had babies... No sex change with no male for 2 mths... I know we're in Southern California, but geez ;-)

Hmm they've all had babies... No sex change with no male for 2 mths... I know we're in Southern California, but geez ;-)

lol... it may just take a while for the females to realize that they can no longer get pregnant.
or maybe it's more rare than all the books say it is...

Back
Top Bottom