my baby guppies how much should i ask for them in few months?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spanky

Aquarium Advice Activist
Been doing some research on where to sell my fry when they get big enough and came to conclusion that my local paper and hanging flyers at the local convenient best option. So my question is now which price should I be asking for when I put them up for sale? the types I got are orange sunshine, blue delta, and neon blue tux. Right now between the 3 tanks i'm looking at 100 plus babies in the last month. Figure take bout 3 months to get to sellable size an lets me pick a few from each batch to put back into the breeding tanks once I see the colors an markings fully developed. I know I'm not going to get alot for them but just don't want to trade them to lfs for credit my fish supplies are pretty much stocked up for the next 6 months or so.

Maybe between $2-$4? Just going off of what I would pay :)

You can charge a little more for actual 'breeds', I usually dicker about price depending on how badly I need rid of them and what my local stores have and are charging. Once I traded almost 80 of them for 20 cherry shrimp to a guy on craigslist. Right now a small lps is willing to give me fifty cents credit on the males (I've kept all my females so far), which works out for me, since I don't have that many right now and don't have the time to find a 'buyer'.

I ended up giving them away ... And I'm still left with quite a lot ! Separated them now so hope there's no more as I've not had a male in with them since the end of July ..

Are these selectively bred strains or just different types of guppies thrown into tanks? Also, are the females from the same strains as the males?

Sad to say, but if they aren't specifically bred strains they aren't really worth anything. If I were in your situation and wanted to breed guppies it would be best to get a breeding trio of fancy guppies and go from there. A pure breeding trio of show guppies will run about $30 - $150 depending on how fancy you want to go but they will give you gorgeous guppies for a breeding program which you will be able to sell for a lot more than random guppies.

yes these are selectively bred strains. only the best ones are kept the weak deformed, or just not brightly colored gets flushed. i've breed guppies the last 30 years just always traded them for credit an just tired of that. where i usually take them they give me a dollar each credit but sell them for 10 each so just trying to get a idea street value sort of say. the breeds each have their own tank an only that strain goes in their nothing else. was thinking bout 2-4 so i'll run with that since it seems i'm not the only one that was thinking that. usually just gave the babies to family and friends but the ones that kept the strains going long since passed an the only other person i know just mixes all breeds an they just revert back to useless guppies. thanks guys for the feed back.

soon as i get more batteries i'll post pics of the tanks cheap butt walmart camera tends to eat the batteries 5 or so pics batteries dead. was looking into aquabid but was told even though these are selective breed still fairly common strain an probably wouldn't do well there. Plus i really have no idea how to ship fish never done it always been just a local breeder in freshwater. though me selling in paper an having people come to my house won't last much longer. i'm currently working on obtaining a building to open up a fish store hate the idea of people coming to my house cause you never know what that person is really upto when they come looking at fish could be casing your place to an try to figure out when your not home. sadly i just have no trust in people nowadays so tend to be very cautious. currently i just don't have a big enough variety of fish yet or enough tanks to open shop up. Only have 13 tanks currently going 1 55 gallon 9 20's 1 24 gallon 2 10's got 2 double stands an 4 55's on the way once they get here i'll be getting glass to section them off into roughly 11 gallon tanks or 5 sections each. Most my tanks are saltwater kind of my new addiction but trying to even out more now.

For shipping, there's a few good videos on youtube. And I'm sure there are plenty around here that can help. What I've seen is typically (from the outside in): Box > foil > Styrofoam > cotton padding > fish.

Have you thought about selling select groups in the classified section?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom