My big Pacu is always hanging around in one corner of my aquarium.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dimitri320

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 450litre aquarium with some smaller fish and a huge pacu. He looks great, eats well, but always stays in one corner of the aquarium. Why? Is there anything wrong with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1468088336.707960.jpg. Maybe it's the light? Because when I turn it off, he starts to swim around

It looks like he is way to big for that tank! Not really a home aquarium fish. This tank also needs a severe restock as I see koi, goldfish, African, central and SA cichlids!!!

If I'm not mistaken, can't Pacu get to be quite sizeable, like bigger than yours sizable? From what I do know about them is they (IIRC) are Amazonian fish that are vegetarian relatives of the piranha that feeds mostly on nuts.
I don't know how exactly big yours is but to my relatively novice eye he looks disproportionately large for that tank.
And the tank looks quite bare. Again, just a novice here, but maybe he feels a bit exposed or crowded? Just saying that as the corner he is in puts him in a shadow and a relatively closed area.
Again. Just speculation.

Sent from my VS880 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Pacu can get multiple feet long and huge. In Brazil they actually catch them to eat. They are relatives to the piranha but are basically vegetarian. They live in murky waters so they need the water to darkened to suite thier natural habitat (atleast piranhas do). As juveniles they are schooling so you would probably need to get more just so they feeling safe. If you can I would trade it into your lfs. They get bigger than piranhas and just for like 5 you need 180g+. Pacu would need severely more. Are you feed it right? I'm pretty sure their diet would be difficult to actually maintain.

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Haven't they been introduced into places in Papua New Guinea where they have proceeded to multiply like crazy, over grazing some plants native species use for breeding/shelter, and have began eating just about everything when they are out of plants? Only time I've actually seen pacu in person is at aquariums/zoos, and they are big beasties

Sent from my VS880 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I agree that my 450litre tank is too small for my pacu. With regards to my koi and gold fish, I agree too, I will get them out from this tank, and leave this tank with only chichlids. Pacu eats very well, I feed him tetra veggie tablets and some frozen foods as well. I am working on a bigger tank now, 1200liters for this Pacu and a huge Arowana. But this is work in progress and will likely take 3-5 weeks to complete.

Back
Top Bottom