My dumb plant question for the evening.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Its in between the roots and the stems/leaves. I guess if you need more info its best to give an example of what plant your talking about.

any anubias or half the other low light plants i'm researching to put in my tank. it's just a general question because i don't know anything about plant parts.

The rhizome is the base of the plant that all of the leaves are attached to.

In the past, with Anubias and African ferns I have temporarily buried the rhizome in the substrate for the first two or three months until roots have developed and taken hold. I would then gently pull the rhizome up through the gravel until it was above the surface of the substrate for the remaining growth of the plant. I never had any problems with plants rotting away.

Now what I do is attach the plants to rocks with rubber bands. After a couple of months the rubber bands will have degraded to the point where they break and can be removed while the plants are attached where I wanted them.

If you look closely at an Anubias you'll see a thick tuber like portion that the roots and leaves grow out of. It can be mistaken for a part of the roots if you don't realize there's a difference. The rhizome grows horizontally while the roots grow down and the leaves grow up.

Back
Top Bottom