My filter is underpowered!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. Aquaforce

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay so yesterday I rinsed and cleaned my casade 700 in the water that was in the pump and added two more filter pads in the pump, all the sudden my Nitrite, Nitrate, ammonia are at zero when i tested them today, currently have another casdae 700 on the way in the mail my tank is a 55 gal that has been going through the fishless cycling process.... since all of the levels are zeroed and that i have another filter that should be arriving in 2 days, i went ahead and transferred 3 of my cory catfishes over, right move or a newbie move? Advice?? 1483380961403.jpg

I would check the levels over the next couple of days to confirm the readings, as you noted "all of a sudden" so you just want to confirm the readings through a couple days of additional testing. From what I can tell the sample colors look pretty good - wish I had your ph....

3 cories in a 55 gal is probably fine. Just keep testing to make sure ammonia or nitrates don't rise.

How long have you been fishless cycling your tank? If it's been a few weeks then you should have a reading. Try shaking the bottles very well, especially the nitrate bottle. I hit mine on the floor a few times and then shake for 20 seconds. The chemical gets stuck to the bottom and won't give you a good reading.

Nitrate doesn't look like zero. If it was, you'd have lost your cycle. It looks right where it should be. But I would wait a couple days to confirm your readings. You do know that Cories are schooling and must be in a minimum of 6, right?

I would check the levels over the next couple of days to confirm the readings, as you noted "all of a sudden" so you just want to confirm the readings through a couple days of additional testing. From what I can tell the sample colors look pretty good - wish I had your ph....
I do have the ph reading on there...

3 cories in a 55 gal is probably fine. Just keep testing to make sure ammonia or nitrates don't rise.

How long have you been fishless cycling your tank? If it's been a few weeks then you should have a reading. Try shaking the bottles very well, especially the nitrate bottle. I hit mine on the floor a few times and then shake for 20 seconds. The chemical gets stuck to the bottom and won't give you a good reading.
I have been cycling the tank for a month now

Nitrate doesn't look like zero. If it was, you'd have lost your cycle. It looks right where it should be. But I would wait a couple days to confirm your readings. You do know that Cories are schooling and must be in a minimum of 6, right?
And 6 cories? Thought the min was 3 no less? Btw i have 10 more in an established 25 gal

And 6 cories? Thought the min was 3 no less? Btw i have 10 more in an established 25 gal

I'd transfer three over. The minimum is, indeed, 6. There shoaling and you will sometimes see them schooling! I love Cories! Good luck! [emoji4]

Yes you do have the ph reading...

I may not have been clear, what I meant was I wish the ph in my tanks was as low as your ph (less than 7.0) - that's very favorable for many species I keep.
Ah sorry about that little confusin, as far as my PH it is 8.0 coming out of my tap water.. however i do believe it has to do with the fact i have a co2 system in my tank as i have found in my research co2 atucally does decrease the PH levels... perhaps think about getting one if you dont have one?

Mr...

I don't see that you have anything to worry about. Putting three small fish in 55 gallons of water isn't going to make much of a difference in the water chemistry. Three fish won't make that much waste in the first place, and 55 gallons of water will dilute whatever small bit of waste is produced to a very safe level.

You currently have close to 13 times the volume of the tank in filtration, with plans to add another canister of the same size. I think you'll have plenty of filtration. Why you think you need that much, I don' know. But, you're the water keeper.

B

Mr...

I don't see that you have anything to worry about. Putting three small fish in 55 gallons of water isn't going to make much of a difference in the water chemistry. Three fish won't make that much waste in the first place, and 55 gallons of water will dilute whatever small bit of waste is produced to a very safe level.

You currently have close to 13 times the volume of the tank in filtration, with plans to add another canister of the same size. I think you'll have plenty of filtration. Why you think you need that much, I don' know. But, you're the water keeper.

B
I have 20 corydoras, more to come since i have eggs, 2 pelcos, 4 angelfish & 9 tetras, 3 of each - black fin - blood red - lamp eye

Back
Top Bottom