my first loss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thefishguy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I had started to cycle my tank fishless then got two blue damsels to finish it. Now they are both dead. my water peramiters are as follows
Temp-81 degrees
SG-1.0255
PH-8.4
Am-0
Nitrite-.25
Nitrate-7
These all are acceptable according to "the contientious marine aquarist"
One reason may be oxygenation, I blocked the air intake, because I couldn't see the fish. could this be. They were both red. when I bought them they were white and yellow. IDK. Also they werent floating they were sitting on the sand bed. is this normal. Please help so I don't make the same mistake. Also the brown alge I think are diatoms are turning like a neon green. really bright

The best way to cycle a tank is to use a couple of raw shrimp for the grocery store. Before you got the Damsels, what did you use to cycle the tank with? Chances are, the nitrates did it in for them. These should always be 0 after the cycle finishes.
At this point, I would just use the raw shrimp method to complete the cycle, or even start the cycle once again.
Sorry to hear about your loss, but using fish such as Damsels don't even run a cycle like a piece of raw shrimp. It is also very harsh on them to survive through such an ordeal.

Mike

Ya I am just going to finish the cycle with the dead fish, is this okay, I don't see anything, they will rot and produce ammonia

Back
Top Bottom