My first planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ian14

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I'm in the process of setting up a 46 gallon bowfront. Here's what I got so far

Filter: eheim 2215

Substrate: 60 lbs of flourite, 20 lbs of Eco-complete

Lighting: finnex ray 2 Led

Won't be a c02 system

What do you all think? Is this a good set up so far for a low tech heavily planted tank?

Sounds like a good start for supplies. You will probably need a carbon source, and some basic fertilizers.

With a ray 2 I would suggest going with metricide 14 day sterilizing solution as a carbon source and either EI or pps pro dry fertilizing regimen. Both of those will help keep your tank algae free. Other than that it looks like a good setup.

Is there a reason you want both flourite and eco complete?

I have seachem flourish right now. I'm not familiar with that stuff though. And I just wanted a mix I guess no special reason

I have seachem flourish right now. I'm not familiar with that stuff though. And I just wanted a mix I guess no special reason

The flourish generally isn't enough to keep a medium light tank happy and you will be hemorrhaging money for no reason through doing liquid ferts.

A dry fert pack will cost you about $20 and will last the better part of a year.

I'm not personally familiar with the pps pro method as I use EI but here is a link that gives a basic explanation.

Aquarium Plant Fertilizer | Green Leaf Aquariums

The flourish generally isn't enough to keep a medium light tank happy and you will be hemorrhaging money for no reason through doing liquid ferts. A dry fert pack will cost you about $20 and will last the better part of a year. I'm not personally familiar with the pps pro method as I use EI but here is a link that gives a basic explanation. Aquarium Plant Fertilizer | Green Leaf Aquariums
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom