My Fish Needs Your Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

College Kid

Aquarium Advice Activist
How do I move a fish from a cup of "thing" infested water into a tank without infesting the new tank?

I had a betta in a 5.5g. Introduced some new plants, which led to bugs in substrate, things crawling on the waters surface, and worms!!!!!!! I got the cup the betta came in and scooped him out (in the bad water). I broke down the tank and am cleaning/soaking everything in a vinegar/water solution as I type. But after the tank is clean, how can I best safely put him back in his tank without reinfesting the tank????? Is it better to not even try?

How do I move a fish from a cup of "thing" infested water into a tank without infesting the new tank?

I had a betta in a 5.5g. Introduced some new plants, which led to bugs in substrate, things crawling on the waters surface, and worms!!!!!!! I got the cup the betta came in and scooped him out (in the bad water). I broke down the tank and am cleaning/soaking everything in a vinegar/water solution as I type. But after the tank is clean, how can I best safely put him back in his tank without reinfesting the tank????? Is it better to not even try?

You would have to make sure that the fish ITSELF is not infested, and that can be tricky. If he is not infested, clean the water, and replace it with new water. But if he is infested, you would need to find a medicine that kills all the types of parasites that you have.

It's just a thought, and I think that the most experienced aquarists will chime in.

Hope I helped!

And on that note, I'm not sure whether these critters/worms are parasitic or not. I think the betta may have eaten some of the worms. However I just looked at the container the betta is in and there doesn't seem to be any worms/insect things moving around (or any of them that are alive at any rate)

Thanks for the article mumma! The "bugs" looked most similar to either water fleas or seed shrimp but with a tinge of green to them. You're probably right about me jumping the gun, but I just got so worried because I bought the plants from a local market and I didnt know what i could have possibly introduced so I kinda panicked :p

Thanks for the article mumma! The "bugs" looked most similar to either water fleas or seed shrimp. You're probably right about me and jumping the gun, but I just got so worried cause I bought the plants from a local market and I had no idea what horrible, terrible things I could have introduced so I kinda got drastic

If these are not aquatic plants, it's possible that there are pesticides, fertilizers and the like on them. Although, given the amount of pests, we can probably safely say no pesticides. :rolleyes:

Some non-aquatic plants can have a level of toxicity though. You need to be careful what you stick in a fish tank.

LyndaB said:
A local market? Are they aquatic plants?

Semi aquatic. They were lucky bamboo stalks that were tall enough to not drown in my tank. I've always liked how they look, but the fish stores around me only had really tiny stalks... I feel liked i really noobed out on this one...

So should I just net him and put him back? Do a much of water changes to his container so most of the stuffs gone in theory then net him?

Back
Top Bottom