my fluval 306 is making occasional popping sound

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobc4d

Aquarium Advice Freak
Recently my Fluval 306 has started making an occasional slight popping sound, it makes the sound every couple of minutes, so ten's of minutes. I took it apart, cleaned it and it is still making the noise. Changing the flow rate doesn't appear to have any effect. it has been in operation about four months.

I did a google search, and the only thing which seems consistent is air trapped in it. How would air get in and how would I get rid of it, if that is indeed the cause?

It could be many things and honestly I'd get your manual out and call the customer service line and see how they suggest to fix it. For air usually a couple gentle shakes of the canister or pumping the priming knob will make it come out. Also I've had small snails get in mine and get down in the propeller and motor area and that makes a cracking or popping noise. I had a lot of MTS's get in my one Fluval 406 and actually ruin the motor.

This is worth a try. Excuse the way I explain it, I'll do my best. I have a 406 and it made noises. When I routed out the air problem I took it apart and looked where the propeller was. The rod that runs through it seemed loose. So, I adjusted it to where it seemed to fit and I haven't had any noises since.

My experience with air in our fluval 404 is more of a gurgling sound - kind of like a small handful of rice or lentils poured into a plastic container. Tipping the canister about 30° off the vertical in all four axes cleared it up for me. (My air was coming from a tiny leak in the intake side of the plumbing - fixed that first.)

I'd be checking customer service as Rivercats suggested - might be the impeller or the ceramic shaft, which might fail without notice - leaving you filter-less unless you have a backup.

Back
Top Bottom