my guppies one of my females was clearly in the labor stages

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smoked

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well last night looking at my guppies one of my females was clearly in the labor stages. She was huge with fry. Did everything I could to help her. Woke up this morning and she was dead. She had signs of be bruising in her lower regions. Her stomach is slightly smaller then before. But i have yet to see any fry. I think she died in labor kinds sucks. I guess ill have to keep an eye out for the next few days to see if any fry survived.

Well last night looking at my guppies one of my females was clearly in the labor stages. She was huge with fry. Did everything I could to help her. Woke up this morning and she was dead. She had signs of be bruising in her lower regions. Her stomach is slightly smaller then before. But i have yet to see any fry. I think she died in labor kinds sucks. I guess ill have to keep an eye out for the next few days to see if any fry survived.

The "bruising" may have been her gravid spot ( the eggs you can see inside of her) and she most likely had a baby that tried to go out sideways, sorry for your loss.

The first response may be correct or she may have been impacted. Sometimes feeding too much protein can cause impaction. I would feed spirlna or some other plant based flake food for a day or so when you note the females are getting ready to pop. You can also let the tank go unfed for a day, day and a half.

You did not say how or where she was set up so the above advice is for a community tank. If you are using one of those floating breeder traps my advice is DON'T! If you want to save the fry move the female to another tank and set up a upsidedown flower pot and place a plastic pasta drainer on it so there is two or so inches of water in it. Fry are born and exit. If you don't have an extra tank, a 5gal bucket with a sponge filter works nice. You can always keep it purking along in the basement or other out of the way place until needed. You can actually raise the fry in it for a week or two with daily water changes if the bucket is cycled. After that put the fry in the big tank.

My own personal pet peeve feed fry live bbs or micro worms. You will get twice the growth rate and much larger fish in the end.

Ok maybe I should have been clear the tank she was in had only guppies 4 female and 2 males. Not a community tank at all. I moved her to the fry tank. Tank was empty at the time plants and filter in that tank. Had some in there before her and now have another pregnant female in there by her self with no issue. I think he was right might have been impacted. Or maybe the fry were to big only had that issue one other time and only a few made it out before she passed. And thank you both for the info but please in the future don't just assume that everyone is a novice at breeding. I know there are many new to the hobby but I am not one of them as far as guppies go.

I have 4 tanks

1 55 gal
1 29 gal
2 10 gal
55 is community tank 29 is my selected stock tank and 1 of the 10 is breeder 1 is fry tank

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom