My increasing family of fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

munchkins

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 50g freshwater tank which I have had for about 6 months. My fish types are Molly's - Platys - Bristlenose Catfish - Cordys both striped & Albino
Thankfully I have learned about 'Cycling' at the startup of a community tank.
My problem is strange really, I have so many baby fish I'm worried that at this rate I'll overfill the tank. I have been advised to get a Betta or some type of fish that is likely to eat the fry when they are born so as to limit the numbers.
If there is anyone with advice out there I would be grateful to hear which other fish to buy to limit my numbers. Would a Betta do this and would it be ok with my other fish. If not please give me your ideas. I'd be so grateful, giving them away is not really an option because people prefer to purchase from a reliable source in case of desease. Thank you

I would not trust a betta to do the job...
Against my preference in fish [I don't really like them myself] I would recommend 1[ONE] angelfish.
They are heartless pest that will have no problem eating the fry.

My Growing Family of Fish

Thank you for the suggestion. An Angel Fish sounds like a good option. Being a novice at this I didn't know they were Freshwater fish. I have had a look on line to see which one to get.... Wow, what a variety of shapes and colours.
Looks like I could solve my population explosion and acquire a really attractive addition to my tank. I have a good reputable supplier close by who will order anything you wish if they are not in stock. I'll post my success with this asap.
Byee

Aside from the fact that Angelfish are much happier in a pair or group (I generally don't like one fish of a species all alone in a tank), the angelfish might or might not eat the young. It depends on their personality. Some would definitely do so and others would more likely pick on the adult fish. Especially if they are alone.
A more humane thing to do is to give the young or some of the adults to your local fish store. I've given hundreds of young fish to my local store (and never had a problem with disease).

Controlling My Numbers of Fish

Thank you for your comments and advice. My immediate reaction to getting another fish that may control the numbers in my tank by eating the young was sadness. I am so fond of them all I'm a real softie. however, it was pointed out to me that this is 'Nature' it happens all the time in the wild rivers around the world. In fact, some of the fry are eaten by their parents anyway. Otherwise, I would have an even bigger problem now. I have been to my local fish store today and they do not want any extra at all because they have hundreds of fish breeding in their tanks, much more than I do.
So I favour the control method of getting a carnivore fish to keep my numbers manageable.
I will take note of your thoughts though, of getting two of the same species.

It's so good to be able to contact other Fish enthusiasts.

Evidently you are doing very well for a beginner. It's an accomplishment to get fish to breed in an aquarium, let alone raising fry. Unfortunately in your case there is not much demand for baby Platys or Mollies. They are far too common. I have a similar problem, a breeding pair of Convict cichlids. Thank goodness the other tankmates eat the fry. The convicts produce fry every month.
I agree that an Angel fish would grow fast and fat on any fry produced in your tank. They are an interesting fish to watch and some varieties are beautiful.
If you would prefer a schooling fish, research "Buenos Aries Tetra". A grouping of 6 is sure to wipe out any and all fry in very short order. They are a pretty tetra, inexpensive, a good entry
Level Fish. PetSmart & Petco usually carry them.

Back
Top Bottom